Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   New to quilting, new to sewing, new to site - Southern Indiana (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/new-quilting-new-sewing-new-site-southern-indiana-t241529.html)

BETTY62 02-21-2014 09:17 PM

A big welcome from Texas.

Teddybear Lady 02-21-2014 10:14 PM

Welcome from Northeast Arkansas. If you ever have a question about quilting, this is the place to get a good answer. Everyone is so helpful and so encouraging. I've learned so much from everyone here. I love the pictures of the blocks, quilts, etc. Seeing a picture helps me more than reading the pattern sometimes. I guess I'm a visual learner. I've posted a few picture of the quilts I've done and gotten positive feedback. Be sure and show us your quilt when you finish it.
Debbie

cowgirlquilter 02-22-2014 09:22 AM

Welcome to our group from the small country town of Meeker, Oklahoma! Glad to have you!

Mariposa 02-22-2014 09:24 AM

HI Maggie, and welcome! This is a fun place to be! :)

auntmaggierocks 02-22-2014 09:41 PM

Thanks so much everyone! The quilt is coming along. I finally got it laid out the way I want it and the rows pinned together. So far they're halfway sewn for the quilt top. I'm waiting on my batting to come in the mail... I will never order again from Joann's online, it took them a week to ship something that was in stock! Grrr!

I just have a regular sewing machine... can I quilt on that? I have no idea where to start. I was thinking of just doing just doing the tie method. I've watched some youtube videos about stitch in the ditch and I think I can do it, I just don't know if my machine is big enough. Any ideas y'all?

Emma S 02-23-2014 04:46 AM

Maggie: Many of us quilt on our home machines. I'm a comparative new comer to free motion quilting so I have a lot to learn but enjoying the process. In terms of stitch in the ditch or any other method of straight stitching for quilting it will help a great deal if you have a walking foot. In case your not familiar, this is a foot that feeds the quilt layers through the machine at an even rate so that you don't have slippage of the various layers. If you don't already have one, you can order one for most machines.

jetayre 02-23-2014 05:01 AM

Welcome from Vermont

quiltinghere 02-23-2014 06:05 PM

Welcome to the QB! You're going to love it here!

Nan - Indiana

auntmaggierocks 02-23-2014 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere (Post 6592338)
Welcome to the QB! You're going to love it here!

Nan - Indiana

Hey Nan, since you're from Indiana too, I'll ask you! Do you know how to find any quilting clubs? Classes? etc? in the area? I tried looking online at Joann's and they only have quilting classes during the weekdays when I'm working. I'm wanting something more than that though. I dunno, a group of people that quilt together, meet occasionally, etc. Any ideas? I live in southern Indiana near Vincennes.

Angel Bear 02-28-2014 05:55 PM

Welcome from OHIO!