Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Introduce Yourself
  • Trouble just finds me >
  • Trouble just finds me

• Trouble just finds me

Old 08-12-2010, 05:35 PM

Hello everyone my name is Jan. I'm still pretty new at quilting. I've been trying it my way for about 10 years now but, I've learned that my way is not really the right way. I don't have a big expensive sewing machine it's a Brother xl3500 only thing I could afford at the time, although I am looking to upgrade. I had my eye on a Bernina 440 quantram. I want so bad to stipple or free motion but, I can't seem to get my machine to work with me. I can't seem to understand the concept of getting that big quilt in that little space and move it at the same time. My arm and neck are killing me trying to work it. Looking for some input! Help me I'm in trouble.
    Old 08-12-2010, 05:43 PM

Hi Jan! Welcome from North Carolina!
    Old 08-12-2010, 05:45 PM
    Google Goddess

Welcome, waving from Indiana, USA
    Old 08-12-2010, 05:50 PM

Welcome from Centennial, CO. OK, regarding the free motion quilting. You are going to think I am crazy but this works. Assuming you have the darning foot and your pedal is on the floor not run by a knee pedal... this is how I FMQ. I turn the right side of my sewing machine to the back, yep, the back. The needle and foot are still at the front. You still control the speed with the pedal it's just turned differently. You now have all the room you need to move your fabric from left to right or right to left. The one thing that took me awhile to get used to was reaching for the foot lift lever and reaching to the back to turn the wheel to move the needle. Sounds crazy, but it works.
    Old 08-12-2010, 05:59 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
    Welcome from Centennial, CO. OK, regarding the free motion quilting. You are going to think I am crazy but this works. Assuming you have the darning foot and your pedal is on the floor not run by a knee pedal... this is how I FMQ. I turn the right side of my sewing machine to the back, yep, the back. The needle and foot are still at the front. You still control the speed with the pedal it's just turned differently. You now have all the room you need to move your fabric from left to right or right to left. The one thing that took me awhile to get used to was reaching for the foot lift lever and reaching to the back to turn the wheel to move the needle. Sounds crazy, but it works.

I tried this and really helped.
    Old 08-12-2010, 06:00 PM

Thats a really good idea working on a quilt for my daughters bd wich is saturday still working on the top but when I fmq I'll try your idea
    Old 08-12-2010, 06:08 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!
    Old 08-12-2010, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
    Hi, and welcome. Yep, that's how I did things before I got my frame and Juki (Now am dreaming of a long arm). Some even make a sewing table and drop the machine in a cutout for the machine in this position. Search the topic for sewing table you should be able to find an example. one thing I have learned, it this board is great for ingenious ideas on making things work with what you have.
    Old 08-12-2010, 06:22 PM
    Power Poster

Welcome!
    Old 08-12-2010, 06:56 PM

Welcome from Missouri.