Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Links and Resources
  • 100 year old quilt comes home >
  • 100 year old quilt comes home

• 100 year old quilt comes home

Old 11-21-2013, 07:41 AM

I had already read the story about the quilt being returned to the community from whence it came. It was wonderful!
    Old 11-22-2013, 10:06 AM
    Power Poster

Yesterday, I was somewhat close ... so decided, no time like the present and went that little bit out of the way to see this quilt. I'm glad I went. Many familiar family names showed up in the embroidery.

It was kind of eery ... looking at this symbol of the past and the war ....
    I wondered how the red sashings and embroidery had been chosen?
    Was the red representing the blood shed?
    Bright and cheery for those who were ailing, so far away in the UK?
    It seemed so symbolic for the In Flanders Fields" poppies, that became a symbol of remembrance.
    Though the poem and its significance was not popularized til after the war.
    (For those who are familiar with Col. John McCrae's poem, his homestead is in Guelph, Ontario, about 40 kms from Georgetown)

The names were written in different scripts. I would wonder if each person was given a block(s) with the challenge to collect the needed signatures and ten cents, then embroider the names. Sometimes a family name is repeated several times within a block; and others, it is just a mix of names. Otherwise, there was no order from one block to the other. A few with military designations were included with the names. One block recognized three who had already returned. A tribute essay to them was included, though my photo is not legible (a framed page, under glass behind glass, does not photo well!)

This quilt is carefully displayed behind glass. While only on display thru to the end of November, it is in the care of the Esquesing Historical Society, which I am sure will take good care of it. No doubt this will not be its only showing.

I took some pics, but they are not all that good because of shooting thru the glass.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]448167[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]448168[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]448169[/ATTACH]

This where the quilt is currently on display ... the Georgetown LIbrary and Cultural Centre.
    The original Church is fully used, with the complimentary additions housing a modern library as well as a performing arts theatre.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]448170[/ATTACH]

In the hallways between the Cultural Centre and the Library there is a gallery area. Paintings are on display from local artists with price tags attached. One quilt was part of the display .... fused and raw edged applique with minimal machine quilting. The pattern is Silly Snowmen by Prairie Grove Peddler.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]448171[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails warquiltgeorgetown-4-.jpg   warquiltgeorgetown-2-.jpg   warquiltgeorgetown-3-.jpg   warquiltgeorgetown-9-.jpg   warquiltgeorgetown-5-.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltE; 11-22-2013 at 10:15 AM.
    Old 11-22-2013, 01:35 PM

Lovely story. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Q: Where in Canada is Georgetown???

cpfrog
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort.
    Old 11-22-2013, 01:47 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by cpfrog
    Lovely story. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Q: Where in Canada is Georgetown???
    Georgetown is west of Toronto.

For many not familiar with the area, they might consider it part of Toronto. Because of the sprawl, from one municipality to the other, the boundaries are not clearly seen.

Much of the newer development in Georgetown was from those who wanted to escape the city/Toronto. However, that has caused it to grow and now, it has pretty much lost its small town feel and character.

And being that we are all quilters .... the Georgetown quilting claim to fame is "The Hobby Horse!
    http://thehobbyhorsequiltshoppe.com/
    Old 11-22-2013, 04:52 PM

Thank you sew much QuiltE for posting the photos!! That quilt is just fascinating!! There is so much history written right on that fabric and so well preserved for 100 yrs old! Simply Fascinating!! Thank you again for sharing the photos!!
    Old 11-22-2013, 05:39 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Divokittysmom
    Thank you sew much QuiltE for posting the photos!! That quilt is just fascinating!! There is so much history written right on that fabric and so well preserved for 100 yrs old! Simply Fascinating!! Thank you again for sharing the photos!!
    Yes exactly ... I was impressed as to how good it looked for the age. Probably has been folded and stored all these years. If only that quilt could talk .............

Thanks again, for sharing the link
    DivoKittysMom ... I'd say you are now an honorary Canadian, for doing so and your interest in this part of our heritage!
    Old 11-22-2013, 06:15 PM

Wonderful story -- wonderful quilt!!! Thanks for posting the link to the story and also for posting the pictures. What a wonderful story!!! Wonderful quilt, too.
    Old 11-23-2013, 04:21 PM
    Power Poster

Complete article in every way. Love the story. Thanks for sharing it with us.