Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Links and Resources
  • 2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice >
  • 2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice

• 2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice

Old 12-08-2013, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    Maybe that's the way to go grandmasieg. Yours look much better than mine. Perfect points.
    I was thinking the same thing. What a clever idea. You points look just perfect. I've got all the squares cut and marked and ready to sew, but I'm going to try to remember your idea for future projects, as it seems more precise and less wasteful.
    Old 12-08-2013, 01:30 AM

I am glad I came here to check in because I realised my 1st four chevrons have the yellows and the neutrals reversed. I will just call it practice sewing and add them to my orphan blocks box. I am out most nights this week so most of my sewing will be done on my RDO on Friday.
    Old 12-08-2013, 05:20 AM

I guess this is a silly question. If they're all mostly the same colors, could they be done Seminole style, sew three strips and cut the size rectangle you want on the diagonal. it would take a little figuring to get the right size strips but it could be done and the cut-offs would be more manageable. You could do shorter strips to get more variety.
    Old 12-08-2013, 05:24 AM

Reversed colors might be interesting. Hrm. I am not starting a third one! Even if I do have a pile that'd just work, I think, with Inklingo, and I know a young lady would would love it. But I can start that in February, not now.
    Old 12-08-2013, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by grandmasieg
    I tried to do the Inklingo for Clue #2 but just couldn't get a 3 1/2 inch square for love nor money! So I attached one template to my Easy Angle and cut 2 inch strips and cut out the parallelogram. Cut my yellow and neutral squares at 2 3/8, cut them into HST and started chain piecing. I have a picture of two practice blocks that I completed and they are 3 1/2 inch square. Just have to trim off the dog ears. I've completed about 20 blocks in about an hour so hopefully, I'll be ready for clue #3 on Friday! I need to get some different yellows! Maybe a trip to my LQS tomorrow!
    I love your idea and I'm doing it your way!
    Old 12-08-2013, 08:08 AM

Jeanin: Not a silly question at all. Sorry I can't visualize the process but the three colors stay the same. If you marked a ruler with the slant for the green and then the size of the block I can't figure out why it wouldn't work. May be a problem keeping the chevrons moving two different directions. Going to try it on my EQ. I was going to be a real coward and paper piece but maybe I'll try your suggestion first. I don't have a printer so the inklingo method is out.
    Old 12-08-2013, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    Yeah, me too. But I just went with it. I still have a pile of the cut off corners. Couldn't quite bring myself to throw them away.
    My pile of cut-off corners is growing too. I'm going to send mine to a quilt buddy who does miniature quilting. Hope she can use them.

Jane
    Old 12-08-2013, 11:33 AM

I want to do a pineapple crazy so I am keeping my cut offs for that. I have made one block and that is when I realised I should have been keeping very small pieces for a long time.
    Old 12-08-2013, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Emma S
    I was going to be a real coward and paper piece.
    Me too. I sewed 6. Four were close and two were way off. I have EQ7, guess I will go practice how to do it.
    Old 12-08-2013, 05:22 PM

I just finished sewing all over the clue 2 blocks...I am not happy with the size....my seams were scant and yet I barely made the 3.5 inches...did it the way bonnie a Hunter did but I think I like what I read here...too late now...if I. Don't like how they fit together I will redo...I am only making for the small size quilt....I still have on
    y 50 clue 1 done...I ordered the Tri Rec rulers and am going to wait until I get them to finish...