Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Links and Resources
  • 2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice >
  • 2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice

• 2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice

Old 12-24-2013, 02:20 PM

Love your colors, Cindy. I'm using the same floral as the red on the far left but mine is blue. It's one of my favorites that I've been saving and I decided now was the time. I spin my seams the same as Cindy. But you have to be sure they're all sewn with the same color at the top of the seam. Otherwise they'll spin in different directions. Check Bonnie's instructions.
    Old 12-24-2013, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts
    Kay, are you saying if you are using scrappy green for instance, that you will soon have no greens at all?
    KalamaQuilts, I have made the decision to use as many scraps as possible in each color family. Then, I went in to fat quarters and half yard lengths for variation. When I have exhausted possibilities within the color family, I will cut the other parts of a clue and put them aside.

My idea is to get as far as I can with each clue before shopping for more fabric. I can afford the fabric, but am trying to use from my stash as I "have a great plenty." :-)

Yesterday, I was on a brief road trip with DH and purchased four oranges which fit in very nicely. With that purchase for inspiration, I went through my stash again and pulled more colors including some conversation prints. Yes, I am spending more time gathering versus actual sewing. However, I am enjoying both the process and the results.

Today has been taken up with baking and laundry. The sewing machine is lonely but will have busy days around the end of this year. Merry Christmas!

I remain piecefully yours....
    Old 12-24-2013, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    I spin my seams the same as Cindy. But you have to be sure they're all sewn with the same color at the top of the seam. Otherwise they'll spin in different directions. Check Bonnie's instructions.
    Should have said the same as Cathie.
    Old 12-25-2013, 07:29 AM

I am sooo far behind. Clue 4 is about half done. Once I have finished with it I will go back to Clues 1, 2 & 3 to begin finishing them. I should have remembered that Bonnie's mystery quilts have ever so many small pieces and are labor intensive. She is so busy I wonder how she manages to design, piece and complete even one quilt.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]453170[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails celtic-solstice-004.jpg  
    Old 12-25-2013, 11:47 AM

Oh Caroline I love all your batiks! ?They are so friendly

I think for Bonnie her quilting is her job so that she makes it a priority in her life. She also seems to be one of those people who just get a lot done whatever the situation is in their life.
    I have been doing more once I decided not to put things off but just make the time...I love to read and also I am a scrapbooker and could spend a lot of time doing both but I have made quilting and sewing a bigger priority in my life. If I know I only have a small amount of time I will say...I am just doing 5 seams and often it becomes harder to stop LOL
    Anyway as so many have been pointing out...it's NOT a race. Do your own speed and it will eventually get done
    Old 12-25-2013, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by kay carlson
    KalamaQuilts, I have made the decision to use as many scraps as possible in each color family. Then, I went in to fat quarters and half yard lengths for variation. When I have exhausted possibilities within the color family, I will cut the other parts of a clue and put them aside.

My idea is to get as far as I can with each clue before shopping for more fabric. I can afford the fabric, but am trying to use from my stash as I "have a great plenty." :-)

I remain piecefully yours....
    Kay, over the mysteries I've cut from a knee high stack of mixed neutrals to about 5 blues. 5 isn't enough for a scrappy, and over the years I've come to the conclusion 13 of any color, if that's all you have, is just enough to be scrappy

On the other hand, if you can afford it why not? I remember quilters doing this in 1998 and 1999 trading back and forth every where they went to get 2000 different fabrics in their Y2K quilts. Maybe your could start an exchange here of blocks?

I've got at least 5 hours into a paper pieced block today. It would go faster if I weren't being stingy with my cutting.
    Amazing how much fabric it takes.
    Old 12-25-2013, 05:16 PM

While Santa was taking his afternoon nap today, I tip toe'd down to my studio and finished up all of the 4 patches for clue 4. Now I'm all caught up and ready for Friday's clue. Hope we get to work with blues and neutrals this time....I'm really tired of sewing orange fabric!
    Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg  
    Old 12-26-2013, 05:42 AM

Princess: Congrats on your catch-up! I think it is amazing how different even the blocks that are using Bonnie's colors appear. Can hardly wait for Firday's clue. One more day to go.
    Old 12-26-2013, 05:53 AM

I didn't sew a stitch yesterday so today I have the rest of the pressing to do to be completely caught up and ready for the next clue. I too am amazed at how different the same blocks look just using different orange and greens.
    KalamaQuilts...what is your pp project? It sounds intense.
    Old 12-26-2013, 07:04 AM

All my four patches are done! I just finished the first chevron - using Emma's method. It didn't line up properly if I trimmed each half first. So, I sewed the two side together first and then trimmed to size.

One chevron down, 99 to go.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]453261[/ATTACH]

LOVE all the fabrics/colors you all have posted!
    Attached Thumbnails celtic-solstice-chevron.jpg