Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Links and Resources
  • 2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice >
  • 2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice

• 2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice

Old 01-09-2014, 11:23 PM

Baby quilt is almost finished so I can get back to my CS...
    I did sneak in some blocks as leaders and enders and a few just for fun so I have finished 28 and since I am doing the "smaller" quilt I am a bit over half way done.
    At least the sewing together will not take as long as the block piecing LOL
    Old 01-10-2014, 08:13 PM

Finally finished sewing all the blocks together yesterday. Have to work over the weekend so won't be able to get back to CS again until Monday. Hopefully I will finish the top the first part of next week and can post a photo. Can't wait to finish this quilt so I can start work on something else...LOL!
    Old 01-11-2014, 05:34 AM

I am about where you guys are in the process. I made enough blocks for the king size, although I was really shooting for a Queen size. I'm going to the use the left overs for the back and then make other blocks in a medallion style until I get the size I need. I'm with you Rita, want to get on to other quilts.
    Old 01-11-2014, 05:57 AM

I'm SUPER slow. I have my HST pieces cut and waiting to be sewn..... Still not sure what to do about my chevrons. I know at their current state I'll lose 1/8-1/4 of the bottom points. Do I care.....
    Old 01-11-2014, 09:58 AM

[QUOTE=SheriR;6506221]I'm SUPER slow. QUOTE]

Same here Sheri. Don't feel bad or care about your progress. Keep plugging away at it.
    Old 01-11-2014, 12:58 PM

It seems I misscounted and I had 33 done but not done any more since

I wish I had the fabric to make more blocks...it is the sandy brown that I am limited with...I could just eliminate doing any of the outside ones and see how many others I can do...I would need enough to make 4 patches and some of the HSTs...I guess I will have to see after I have all the blocks made from what I have done so far...
    Can't mix a different fabric as it is the same fabric throughout the quilt and I am not going to find any more as it has been in the stash for years.
    Old 01-11-2014, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cathieinut
    It seems I misscounted and I had 33 done but not done any more since

I wish I had the fabric to make more blocks...it is the sandy brown that I am limited with...I could just eliminate doing any of the outside ones and see how many others I can do...I would need enough to make 4 patches and some of the HSTs...I guess I will have to see after I have all the blocks made from what I have done so far...
    Can't mix a different fabric as it is the same fabric throughout the quilt and I am not going to find any more as it has been in the stash for years.
    Cathie, why not post a photo of the fabric, just in case one of us has some of it. We probably all have stuff that's old as the hills.

Stella in AL
    Old 01-12-2014, 11:04 AM

I've come to the conclusion that the most challenging part of this mystery for me was the tri rec squares. I measured accurately, at least I thought I did, but my tips are off on nearly all of them. I'm putting my rows together now and have decided to focus on matching up the neutral pieces rather than the seams since my blues are so bright that it really stands out if the neutral points don't match. However, that means that my seams are off on nearly every intersection, not by a lot, but enough to annoy me. Luckily it seems to actually be working out so far, but it will be interesting to see how close to 75x75 my wonky quilt top actually is when it's finished.

Does anyone know why my tri rec squares are off? I will say this mystery has humbled me and made me realize I'm not as skilled as I thought I was, but goodness, I can't wait to work on a few plain old square pieced quilts just to restore my confidence! I think the next time I see a class offered that uses the tri rec tool, I might try to sign up for it.

I guess Bonnie really knows how to stretch a quilter's skills anyway!
    Old 01-12-2014, 11:14 AM

I have all my blocks finished, but have bagged them up until I get home and can use my big working wall, I'm going to do something different (for me) with the border blocks but can't imagine how it will look until I try it
    Old 01-12-2014, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Daffy Daphne
    Cathie, why not post a photo of the fabric, just in case one of us has some of it. We probably all have stuff that's old as the hills.

Stella in AL
    OK here is the fabric
    Attached Thumbnails 005.jpg