Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Links and Resources
  • All Hancock's Fabric stores are closing! >
  • All Hancock's Fabric stores are closing!

• All Hancock's Fabric stores are closing!

Old 04-03-2016, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Edie
    We had one store closing and then found out that all the stores are closing by June, 2016. Everything is 20-30-40-50% off. I am in St. Paul. Roseville has been closing for several weeks now and West St. Paul is now going by the wayside. I should check on the 108" fabric. I need that. I like their fabric. I also like JoAnn. Our Roseville store is wonderful. Very knowledgeable and helpful. No complaints. Except that I have learned it is cheaper to buy 1/4 yd of fabric than a fat quarter. Very sad - Hancocks. Edie
    Discounts (established by the liquidator) is off list price. That's why the prices are not so attractive at this point. But the store was very busy Friday and I expect to see inventory being depleted fairly rapid.
    Old 04-03-2016, 05:42 AM
    Vat

I was in a Hancock Fabrics store yesterday and yes, all of them are closing. But they only have 25% off.
    Old 04-03-2016, 05:44 AM

I shop three JAF stores in my local VA travels. The Warrenton store is wonderful. Employees so nice and helpful. The Charlottesville store is a nightmare--rude, incredibly slow employees and long lines. Winchester is some where in between. I am glad that Warrenton is the closest for me. Just seems strange that the stores can be so different. Has to be due to the management of each store. I worked for Minnesota Fabrics in Herndon before it was bought out by Hancock. Was a nice store back then.
    Old 04-03-2016, 07:45 AM

Sad news. I don't believe we have any Hancock's here in Canada but it's always sad to hear of business's closing because it puts people out of work & it gives us so little choice for shopping. This is going to force more & more crafters to shop online.
    Old 04-03-2016, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by callen
    Sad news. I don't believe we have any Hancock's here in Canada but it's always sad to hear of business's closing because it puts people out of work & it gives us so little choice for shopping. This is going to force more & more crafters to shop online.
    Yes, that is the saddest part, Hancocks (from what I have read) has over 4000 employees, now all out of work.
    Old 04-03-2016, 11:58 AM

I am sad to see Hancock close also, but they have had inventory issues for a long time. Here in the deep South they have carried Tons of fleece year 'round forever. They carried collegiate prints for schools no where near us. Clearly they did not tailor themselves to the local or regional market. Too bad some of us quilters weren't consulted as to what would sell well. The staff at my local store were always helpful and I hate to see them go.....

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-30-2017 at 05:21 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
    Old 04-04-2016, 10:55 AM
    Power Poster

Wow...I was just in Hancocks last week. They just opened this new store about six months ago. I will be sad to see them go. I have shopped there for years....
    Old 04-04-2016, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by mjhaess
    Wow...I was just in Hancocks last week. They just opened this new store about six months ago. I will be sad to see them go. I have shopped there for years....
    Here's an article that references how a new Hancocks was about to have its grand opening, on April 1...http://www.timesrecordnews.com/busin...374179111.html
    Old 04-04-2016, 11:51 AM

This is sad news! One less choice and I like their apparel fabric selection better than other options around here in addition to their home dec items. Does this include Hancock of Paducah does anyone know? I order from them all the time...
    Old 04-04-2016, 11:54 AM

Just got my answer online - no, Hancock of Paducah is a separate company and is not closing...
    http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/story/3163...will-stay-open