Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Links and Resources
  • Another copyright discussion >
  • Another copyright discussion

• Another copyright discussion

Old 05-31-2013, 04:35 PM

Default Another copyright discussion

as I was looking for "star" quilts I came across this site that has a discussion on copy-right laws. Very interesting!!! !http://www.nativeamericanstarquilts.net/Patterns.htm Click on "copyright" to read.
    Old 05-31-2013, 04:44 PM

It doesn't actually matter what Diane wants or says. It only matters what the actual law says. She can claim anything she wants, doesn't make it law. She can also go stand in the garage and claim she's a car, it won't make it so though.
    Old 05-31-2013, 04:55 PM

You are right Scissor Queen! Wow, Diane really needs to understand copyright law. She says that no one can post a picture of the quilt they made from her pattern,no one can sell a quilt they made from her pattern. Really? When a person buys the pattern, the purchaser can do anything they want with the item made from the pattern. If Diane doesn't want anyone to sell a quilt made from her pattern, she shouldn't sell the pattern then. If someone sued her for her rules that she wants the purchaser to follow, I have a feeling she would learn real fast what rights she does have and what rights she doesn't. An expensive lesson, but one that I think she would not forget.
    Old 05-31-2013, 05:04 PM

Why would someone sue Diane, wouldn't it be the other way around?
    Old 05-31-2013, 05:06 PM

Not a logical position. Someone posts pix of a gorgeous quilt they made and then there is a rush to buy the pattern. That is how a lot of patterns and books are sold, isn't it?
    Old 06-01-2013, 03:19 AM

I wonder how many of Diane's patterns she has copied from someone else. There isn't a single one of those star quilts that someone couldn't have designed themselves with EQ7 or graph paper.
    Old 06-01-2013, 04:41 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

Agree. and does she think she is the only person with the pattern? how the heck would she know? it would be very time consuming to monitor the web to see who is posting what picture. haha
    Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
    Not a logical position. Someone posts pix of a gorgeous quilt they made and then there is a rush to buy the pattern. That is how a lot of patterns and books are sold, isn't it?
    Old 06-01-2013, 04:45 AM

She has one that looks almost like the one I made several years ago using Eleanor Burns book the only thing I could see that would be wrong is to photo copy her patterns and try to sell them which I am sure no one would do
    Old 06-01-2013, 08:30 AM

I think I am a little "snorty" about issues like this. If a person wants someone's money and would like them to recommend them and their website to other people and are on the web (free advertising is that?), they needent be so legal minded about others using their stuff when they are willing to use other people's. Sorry about that horrible sentence. I am sure you get it, though.

Bottom line for me is that there are plenty of very creative, highly artistic people and sites and I can leave the legalistic soul to enjoy herself by herself. May it bring her joy.

Thank all of you for being so supportive and giving. My late friend's last gift, one of her best gifts to me, was Quilting Board. You are all terrific people, not just terrific quilters.

Pat
    Old 06-01-2013, 08:40 AM

I wish some of these designers would get off their high horse and come down to earth. It is possible that two people can design a very similar quilt even if they live on opposite sides of the earth.