Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Links and Resources
  • Aurifil Thread price increase again. >
  • Aurifil Thread price increase again.

• Aurifil Thread price increase again.

Old 09-15-2023, 11:50 AM
    Power Poster

Default Aurifil Thread price increase again.

I stopped in the LQS this morning to browse. I heard the owner tell a customer to buy the Aurifil thread colors she needed now because when the new order came in the price would be $16.99 a spool. The price is $15.99 until the new order comes in.
    Old 09-15-2023, 06:58 PM

Wow! That is pricey! Does the LQS offer any discounts or sales?

I will say while the colors are gorgeous, I’m not a fan. It is gritty going through my machine.
    Our LQS offers discounts to members on meeting days for our guild. I buy items and stock up on those days.
    Old 09-16-2023, 05:38 AM
    Power Poster

I rarely buy anything for quilting that is not on sale. Unless it's 40% off it is not a sale to me. I have enough stash I can wait for for the good sales.
    Old 09-16-2023, 05:51 AM

That is ridiculous. I will be searching for another long staple Egyptian thread.
    If I cant find one, just use from my collection. I have been buying aurifil 12 spool sets or years.
    I purchased some at 4.00 per spool 1422 yards, when a retailer was going out of business.
    those were the days.

Old 09-16-2023, 06:33 AM

I bought a lot of Aurifil in 2 shades of cream back in 2005 not thinking correctly on how much I really needed for a quilt. My brain said yards but the pattern was going by inches so you do the math on how I ordered too many spools. Anyway, I rarely remember I have these spools in a drawer as I have so many spools from Connecting Threads that I use the most, both cotton and their polyester versions. Glad I'm not a fan of Aurifil if they keep upping their prices. But I guess we have to expect it.
    Old 09-16-2023, 08:33 AM
    Power Poster

I have lots of Aurifil bought when it was less then $4 a spool on sale. Yep it use to be. It was the most expensive thread in the shops back then so wasn't selling very fast. The shops of course put it on clearance to move it. . I have other brands of thread I like as much so been buying that when I find a good sale.
    Old 09-20-2023, 05:31 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    I rarely buy anything for quilting that is not on sale. Unless it's 40% off it is not a sale to me. I have enough stash I can wait for for the good sales.
    I agree. When I see a "great" sale of 20% off I just delete the email. A $43.00 jellyroll at 20% off is not going to be bought by me. lol
    Old 09-22-2023, 08:16 PM

I do like Aurifil and I do have a pretty good stash of it. I also like Mettler silk finish and I am working on using that up too. When and if I ever use up my cotton threads, I think I am going to try just using up my almost empty cones of SoFine. Yep, have a big stash of that too. I have tried some Wonderfil as that is what the local shop carries but I have mixed results on that as to whether I like it or not. I have to pay attention to what line of wonderfil I am using.
    Old 09-24-2023, 11:07 PM
    Power Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by Rhonda K
    Wow! That is pricey! Does the LQS offer any discounts or sales?

I will say while the colors are gorgeous, I’m not a fan. It is gritty going through my machine.
    Our LQS offers discounts to members on meeting days for our guild. I buy items and stock up on those days.
    Rhonda K may I ask what thread you use? Thank you.
    Old 09-25-2023, 03:53 AM

My quilting machine is very particular, some thread brands it likes and others it simply refuses to use. Bought some Superior Onmi thread and it sews beautifully on the piecing machine, but winds too tight on the bobbin for my quilting machine. I may have to go back to Connecting Threads or Aurifil for the bobbin. I've also tried Missouri Star thread and it also likes my quilting machine.