Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Links and Resources
  • Brother Moda fabric printer for home use >
  • Brother Moda fabric printer for home use

• Brother Moda fabric printer for home use

Old 08-13-2023, 04:19 AM

The artwork for the fabric is adult coloring book pages. I had 20+ pages done by the time both knee-replacements were healed. So, I uploaded page to Spoonflower and used the reversed type layout. They had 4 repeat layouts to choose from.
    Old 08-24-2023, 08:51 AM

A quilting friend and I watched several videos on the PrintModa this morning.

The fabric comes on a roll, is 11.6 inches wide by 5.4 yards, and is $100.00 per roll.
    You can rotate and manipulate the images in the printing app, which you use on your phone or a tablet. I don't know if they have an app or program for desktop or laptop.
    It can crock and bleed, so there is a laminate available that you can iron on top to prevent this. The resulting fabric looks very similar to oilcloth.
    The only time anyone mentioned washability was one comment "Supposedly it's washable".

Hard pass for me, but I'll be curious to see what a regular quilter and not a salesperson does with it.
    Old 08-25-2023, 03:48 AM
    Power Poster

I watched a demo at the LQS yesterday. The person didn't have many answers about anything only how to operate it. She did say the fabric can be set after printing and washed. I can see a use for it for textile artist, project makers, and crafters but not so much for quilting. It is a start though. The price was $1000.
    Old 08-30-2023, 02:32 AM

I think I would use the services if a LQS bought one to make and sell custom fabric.
    Old 08-30-2023, 02:38 PM

I have a friend who just bought one yesterday from the largest sewing machine dealer in Portland, and she was able to get the answers to a lot of the questions I was asking, mostly about the fabrics and inks. She was told that yes, she can use her stash of Jacquard inkjet fabric sheets. The printer inks are regular inkjet cartridges you can buy from office supply stores. The dealer told her he wasn't going to carry the fabric rolls, because he only makes 10% on them, but he has to store and merchandise them. Not worth it, in his mind.

So here's my burning question. If the PrintModa printer takes regular ink, and you can use the inkjet set fabrics that are already available, why not just use your existing printer and save the thousand bucks? The only benefit I can see to the PrintModa is it can print 3 continuous yards of 11" wide fabric, whereas in your home printer, you can only do one 11" sheet at a time. Honestly, if I ever needed to print something that is 3 yards (or longer), or I wanted to print my own designs, I'd rather spend $50 at Spoonflower.

Just my humble opinion.
    Old 08-30-2023, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    I have a friend who just bought one yesterday from the largest sewing machine dealer in Portland, and she was able to get the answers to a lot of the questions I was asking, mostly about the fabrics and inks. She was told that yes, she can use her stash of Jacquard inkjet fabric sheets. The printer inks are regular inkjet cartridges you can buy from office supply stores. The dealer told her he wasn't going to carry the fabric rolls, because he only makes 10% on them, but he has to store and merchandise them. Not worth it, in his mind.

So here's my burning question. If the PrintModa printer takes regular ink, and you can use the inkjet set fabrics that are already available, why not just use your existing printer and save the thousand bucks? The only benefit I can see to the PrintModa is it can print 3 continuous yards of 11" wide fabric, whereas in your home printer, you can only do one 11" sheet at a time. Honestly, if I ever needed to print something that is 3 yards (or longer), or I wanted to print my own designs, I'd rather spend $50 at Spoonflower.

Just my humble opinion.
    I totally agree. I can't see myself spending the time to design and print fabric on my own. It's expensive and time consuming. Also if its regular ink jet ink, you'll have to heat set it. I've had mixed results with that.
    Old 08-31-2023, 06:40 AM

I wonder what the quality of the fabric roll is and if the ink would run at all?
    Old 09-04-2023, 05:04 AM

"The dealer told her he wasn't going to carry the fabric rolls, because he only makes 10% on them, but he has to store and merchandise them. Not worth it, in his mind."

I would not buy from a dealer that never intended to offer needed supplies!
    Old 09-04-2023, 07:24 AM
    Power Poster

The Brother dealer here has sold out of her first order of printers. She said she had a pre order wait list. ? I said that's great but what exactly are they going to be printing fabric for? She said for machine embroidery especially the one with the multi needle machines. I'm sure there was a big demand for it or Brother wouldn't have invested to have one made.
    Old 09-05-2023, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by aashley333
    "The dealer told her he wasn't going to carry the fabric rolls, because he only makes 10% on them, but he has to store and merchandise them. Not worth it, in his mind."

I would not buy from a dealer that never intended to offer needed supplies!
    You don't *need* the special paper that Brother sells. You can print on regular ink-jet set fabric that is available elsewhere. But I get your point.