Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Links and Resources
  • Brother Moda fabric printer for home use >
  • Brother Moda fabric printer for home use

• Brother Moda fabric printer for home use

Old 08-10-2023, 02:06 PM
    Power Poster

Default Brother Moda fabric printer for home use

It's up for pre order now at most Brother dealers. I saw a demo this morning. The fabric looked amazing. You can scan any fabric you can't find for sale any longer and print it out exactly. Design you own fabric. The fabric comes on roll. I'm not sure how the ink is set afterwards or how long the ink cartridges last. The price now is about $1500. Don't know the cost of ink or other details. This is the future of fabric, another tool for fabric artists, quilt restorers, custom designs for fabric decor, new possibilities all around. I think it is exciting!

Last edited by Onebyone; 08-10-2023 at 02:10 PM.
    Old 08-10-2023, 02:46 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    It's up for pre order now at most Brother dealers. I saw a demo this morning. The fabric looked amazing. You can scan any fabric you can't find for sale any longer and print it out exactly. Design you own fabric. The fabric comes on roll. I'm not sure how the ink is set afterwards or how long the ink cartridges last. The price now is about $1500. Don't know the cost of ink or other details. This is the future of fabric, another tool for fabric artists, quilt restorers, custom designs for fabric decor, new possibilities all around. I think it is exciting!
    and because fabric is not available and for personal use copyright wouldn't apply?
    Old 08-10-2023, 03:19 PM

Interesting concept.

What is the width of the fabric? How will fit in a printer?
    Old 08-10-2023, 03:39 PM

Printer ink is already outrageous, I can only imagine the cost for fabric ink!
    Old 08-10-2023, 03:44 PM

Maybe I am just a pessimist, but I see copyright issues here.

Originally Posted by tallchick
    Printer ink is already outrageous, I can only imagine the cost for fabric ink!
    This is somewhat unrelated to the original topic, but if you have an HP printer, check out their Instant Ink program. It is a real money saver and so easy to use.

Last edited by SueZQ from MN; 08-10-2023 at 03:54 PM.
    Old 08-10-2023, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K
    Interesting concept.

What is the width of the fabric? How will fit in a printer?
    I wondered the same. I finally found a picture of it and it looks like it holds a fabric roll about 18" wide. Epson and some other companies have had fabric printers that print on wide fabric for a while, but the pricing starts about $12,000 and goes up from there. Plus, as you'd expect its pretty large and would take up quite a bit of dedicated space. This small one will have some uses once you're past the learning curve.
    Old 08-11-2023, 03:40 AM

It will be interesting to see the new Brother line up this year. They usually show new machines or features about Mid August. Wonder if the LQS will have a demo available to show us?
    Old 08-11-2023, 04:47 AM
    Power Poster

When EQ put in the trace and import feature many said it would lead to a copyright issue. Not a legal problem for EQ. Nor will it be for Brother. It will be an individual user decision.
    Reminds me of Accuquilt when it first was available for the home. So many saw only the negatives. Now it is in most sewing rooms. Home 3D printers are normal to see in homes and workshops. Dealer told us she had about 12 pre orders that morning. She was leaving Sunday to go to the Brother new launches and will know more next week. I can't see me having a need for it in my sewing room right now.

Last edited by Onebyone; 08-11-2023 at 04:49 AM.
    Old 08-11-2023, 05:16 AM

This would be great for photo quilts! I'm guessing it can process images other than fabric
    Old 08-11-2023, 05:38 AM

Tallchick, I agree with how high the price of printer ink has gone. I was printing out a DVD list, 3 copies, 21 pages each and I went thru 2 full HP black cartridges somehow and still didn't finish my list. I normally print on "draft" but somehow it must have got switched to "normal" or something was wrong with the cartridges themselves. I went online and found a company that fills used cartridges for certain manufacturers and HP just happened to be one called "Limeink". I ordered both the color and the black at a decent price and I'm very happy with them. Ordered 2 XL black for $26 + tax. Don't think you can get 1 HP cartridges for that price.

Just thought I'd throw that out to anyone that prints a lot and are mad how high the price of ink has gone. Luckily, most printers cost a lot less than they used to.

As to this new printer for fabric, I'd have to print a lot of fabric to make up the price of the printer plus the ink. Plus, I'd imagine you have to cut the fabric to fit which makes it useless in my mind if you need larger/wider. Just my opinion for what it's worth.