Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Links and Resources
  • Brother's new scan and cut machine >
  • Brother's new scan and cut machine

• Brother's new scan and cut machine

Old 10-06-2013, 06:21 PM

Geri - you are right in the sense that it doesn't appear very speedy - - what excites me is the technological advancement - the idea is out there and churning and as I see it - it could work into something great! I am going to wait but still keep my eye on it, I think it is on the verizon of something good. :-)
    Old 10-06-2013, 06:40 PM

Looks neat but I wouldn't buy it, simply because I'm too stingy to go buying every new "tool" they come out with, and I don't particularly care for all this "stuff" that's computerized, it may be nice when it works, but sooner or later, one or more of the components are going to go bad, and it's highly unlikely that you would be able to get it fixed, because by that time, they've come out with a newer, electronic model. The manufacturers don't build/make things to last anymore, it's all about how low can they go in price, etc.
    Old 10-07-2013, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B
    I guess my questions are.....it draws the 1/4"sewing line......why,if one has a 1/4" foot on sewing machine that should be the guide....and what is the drawing ink....is it permanent or washable ....one piece of fab at a time seems like it is not a speedy process for piecing....so I guess it will be something an appliqué techniquer might welcome, but that too might be more time consuming......will wait and see. It will be interesting how the LQS will be pushing this product......
    It is great for quilting too. First of all it has lots of quilting squares already built in. you can decide to do HST, it will draw your lines and then cut it and all of this takes seconds to do. then just sew down the line to make a HST that you don't have to worry about resizing (unless you made it bigger, which I'd probably do) but you don't have to do the sewing twice down the middle, cut and resize. It also has Sunbonnet sue and Sam patterns. You read on here all the time of those who don't have a 1/4 in foot or it isn't accurate. It also does 5/8th or any other one you want. You can resize, say you have a 8in bear claw square, it shows the individual pieces so you can pick and place them on the fabric where you want but if you decide you want that to be a 12in or even a 6in block the machine adjust to make that happen. There are several different pens that comes with it and yes, some of them are washable, I haven't checked to see if they all are or not. There are some great videos out there that shows you the quilting, applique, editing, drawing, etc of the machine. I know that the machine can cut accurate blocks faster than I can using a ruler, especially when there are more than one or two. You can also use it to scan documents into your pc if you don't have a printer that scans, this sends it to the usb and then you can save it to the pc. I think its exciting about the possiblilities and what it can do in the future with software upgrades. One version comes with over 800 designs plus lots of fonts. They did have crafters of all ranges testing this out and it got high marks
    Old 10-07-2013, 04:58 AM

The cost of this "thing" is in the $500.00 range? Hmmm, quilting certainly has evolved......from handcrank or hand piecing, templates made from discarded boxes, fabric gleaned from old clothing and feed sacks, etc., to sewing machines costing thousands of dollars in many cases, mass produced supplies and fabric specific to the now "art of" .... And the evolution continues....as it does in other areas of our lives today. Having said all that philosophical stuff, I too will watch this new product as it rises in popularity (maybe) and might even but one down the line!
    Old 10-07-2013, 05:51 AM

In regard to the "draw a 1/4 inch line" - I sometimes will draw in my own sewing line just to be sure I am getting it right - and in the case of other than quilt squares - things like dolls - it is becoming more popular (and I think more accurate) to draw the line of your intended pattern, sew on it and then cut out the item with the seam allowances you want. For me it gives my brain something "sure" to focus on and I find that a quarter-inch foot does not always allow for moving around in intricate tight spots where sewing on the line and then cutting it out seems to work better for me, anyway. To me it is kind of an extra insurance policy that I am going to get the end result that I want. As you can tell, I am excited about this progress. :-)

Marysewfun
    Old 10-07-2013, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Marysewfun
    In regard to the "draw a 1/4 inch line" - I sometimes will draw in my own sewing line just to be sure I am getting it right - and in the case of other than quilt squares - things like dolls - it is becoming more popular (and I think more accurate) to draw the line of your intended pattern, sew on it and then cut out the item with the seam allowances you want. For me it gives my brain something "sure" to focus on and I find that a quarter-inch foot does not always allow for moving around in intricate tight spots where sewing on the line and then cutting it out seems to work better for me, anyway. To me it is kind of an extra insurance policy that I am going to get the end result that I want. As you can tell, I am excited about this progress. :-)

Marysewfun
    This draws the line and then cuts it out. I agree, I like having that line and the fact that within seconds I can have a machine draw it and cut it out is great. You can save the designs to the machine once its scanned so from then on out its easier to just pull it up, edit if necessary and then draw or cut your design. I have one but still go up and look each day to see if there are new videos as it evolves.