Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Links and Resources
  • Can you explain this better? >
  • Can you explain this better?

• Can you explain this better?

Old 01-22-2014, 07:31 AM
    Power Poster

Jenny Doan just posted a new quilt to my Missouri Star Quilt co app. It is called The Lattice Quilt. It is done with squares and a thin white strip too. You might like it and it looks easy.
    Old 01-22-2014, 07:35 AM

I am no way a quilt whiz but was wondering and will ask this question, could you strip piece these?
    Old 01-22-2014, 07:49 AM

This is what I'm gonna try. Just got back from my graph paper! Charm Squares and Mini Charm Squares and white fabric added in:
    on copy/graph paper draw a 5 inch square then, inside that square come in 1/4 inch dashed line all around. Now, take your square ruler and find the diagonal line and in outside 5" line one of the corners find the 1 1/2 inch mark and draw the dia line - move ruler up to 1 7/8 and draw next dia line. do the same to the opposite corner.
    So use your charm square as the base, I think you can cut the mini square in half to use on corners and I think a 4 1/2 inch strip of fabric cut 3/4inch wide will do the white piece.
    Of course you can use any size square to your liking then just adjust the corner square but then the mini charm wouldn't work.
    Old 01-22-2014, 05:15 PM
    yel

i am only going to throw this out there -----could that 3" block be so that when put together the grain of the fabric all goes the same way??? just a thought
    Old 01-22-2014, 06:02 PM

I saw this post yesterday and fell in love with the quilt. I'm doing it with the 5 inch square, the 3 inch white square and the 2 inch colored square. I've got it all cut and most of the 3 inch squares sewn on the 5 inch squares. This one goes really fast with chain sewing. I just hope mine turns out 1/2 as nice as the one shown in the link. I went through all my drawers of fabric and pulled out all the pieces that were less than a quarter yard. I can now actually close all those drawers now!
    Old 01-24-2014, 12:18 PM

"You could draw it off and paper piece it. It is pretty simple. Really a cute quilt. " Love paper piecing and you are right!
    Old 01-24-2014, 12:21 PM

@Nammie to 7: Wow, you are proactive! Can't wait to see the top when done. Goes pretty fast with the square approach, huh?
    Old 01-24-2014, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by yel
    i am only going to throw this out there -----could that 3" block be so that when put together the grain of the fabric all goes the same way??? just a thought
    Makes good sense; between you and Nammie I am rethinking the waste factor of using squares or considering the paper piecing. Think will try both. Thanks.
    Old 01-24-2014, 12:27 PM

Another good approach. Thanks for sharing. When you all talk of charm squares is that where you purchase a stack already cut? I need to use scraps.
    Originally Posted by Daisy Dew
    This is what I'm gonna try. Just got back from my graph paper! Charm Squares and Mini Charm Squares and white fabric added in:
    on copy/graph paper draw a 5 inch square then, inside that square come in 1/4 inch dashed line all around. Now, take your square ruler and find the diagonal line and in outside 5" line one of the corners find the 1 1/2 inch mark and draw the dia line - move ruler up to 1 7/8 and draw next dia line. do the same to the opposite corner.
    So use your charm square as the base, I think you can cut the mini square in half to use on corners and I think a 4 1/2 inch strip of fabric cut 3/4inch wide will do the white piece.
    Of course you can use any size square to your liking then just adjust the corner square but then the mini charm wouldn't work.
    Old 01-24-2014, 12:28 PM

Don't know. Thinking on it though.
    Originally Posted by littlebitoheaven
    I am no way a quilt whiz but was wondering and will ask this question, could you strip piece these?