Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Links and Resources
  • Free paper piece project for the Cinderella in all of us...a Fabric  Godmother >
  • Free paper piece project for the Cinderella in all of us...a Fabric Godmother

• Free paper piece project for the Cinderella in all of us...a Fabric Godmother

Old 11-13-2013, 11:27 AM
    Power Poster

cute pattern
    Old 11-13-2013, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the printing hint MadameKelly. I discovered that I had to change my printer's settings to "no flipping" to get the 1" square on all of the pattern sheets. I usually print on both sides of the paper to save paper. And I usually save the instructions om my PC to also save paper. Silly me! Ten pieces of paper to send through the shredder. All is not wasted though. The shreds go under the chicken roost and then to the compost pile in a month or so. Next year's tomatoes. LOL
    Old 11-14-2013, 08:28 PM

Wink

Originally Posted by madamekelly
    For those of you who paper piece, or , just want to try it, this blog has a free "creator" that makes you a free fairy godmother pattern for your sewing room, or for adding to a fairy tale quilt, etc. You just select your choices from the list, and submit. No obligation of any kind, no sign up, nothing. Really is a free gift. They make up so cute or funny depending on your fabric choices, and she even helps with that!

http://www.paperpanache.com/MBs/MB61/mysblk61.php

I just wanted to show you all my quilt fairy godmother. It took two days, and as usual I can't just follow a pattern, so she has curly hair and earrings ( which I am never without).
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Old 11-15-2013, 08:18 AM

That's cute MadameKelly! Does it resemble you or your personality? This seems like such a fun, but hard, project!
    Old 11-15-2013, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by CAS49OR
    Madame Kelly, It would be fun to do it together. I have made some paper pieced quilts, and I have made some paper pieced blocks in the "Block of the Month" thread in this group. That's why I thought the pieces were so tiny in comparison to what I've done. I don't see how it is possible to sew them. Maybe I printed them out too small, or could make the patterns bigger before attempting to sew? Also, I don't have much stash and it takes a lot of different little color pieces

Can some of you that have done them help us out? Do you have pictures? Were some of the pieces tiny, like 3/8 " by 1/2"?
    Some of the pieces were very small, but I was just cutting larger shapes and cutting the excess off as I went. Trimming is everything with these. I probably did not work with it the way an expert would, but it worked for me. I will not be doing another this difficult, but I can say I did it. When I was sewing this, I had my stitch length set to 1.4, and took my time setting up each piece. When I said it took me two days, I meant two full days, at least 14-16 hours. I got lucky and had a couple quiet days. When I had to take a few stitches out, I worked gently with a straight pin and seam ripper to do it. Yes, I did have to start over twice on the first section, because my brain has a real problem turning things around, but with tenacity, even I could make one. Up to now I have only worked with simple quilt patterns and pretty large pieces, so be encouraged. it can be done, just not quickly...Good luck. ;-)
    Old 11-15-2013, 07:06 PM

Looks like fun!
    Old 11-17-2013, 11:55 PM

Oh yes, I made one of these & it was great fun. If you haven't tried it yet, please do as you will be pleasantly surprised with your finished project!!
    Old 11-18-2013, 01:23 AM

Thanks, I've downloaded my version and I cannot wait to start on it!