Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Links and Resources
  • Hand Quilting without a hoop >
  • Hand Quilting without a hoop

• Hand Quilting without a hoop

Old 06-08-2010, 08:53 AM
    JS

I do too. I have better control this way.
    Old 06-08-2010, 09:14 AM

I don't use a hoop because it is too cumbersome! I have basted with the basting gun and plastic tabs. I'm sure that there are better ways to do it but that's how I do it! I'm hearing a lot about the adhesive spray and I just might try that next time!
    Old 06-08-2010, 12:40 PM
    PJO

I do. I've tried with a hoop, and I just do better work without it.
    Old 06-08-2010, 03:24 PM

I haven't gotten a quilt top done yet, but I do want to hand quilt - thanks for the tips.
    Old 06-08-2010, 04:49 PM

I have always wanted to try it but thought it was "taboo". I think I would like hand quilting a lot more this way. I am going to give it a try soon. Thanks for the link.
    Old 06-08-2010, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
    I was wondering if anyone else hand quilts without a hoop???
    That's the only way I can hand quilt. Way back, I tried machine quilting and made an awful mess of the quilt. Then I tried using a nice hoop and that cause more annoyance and discomfort than anything and my stitching just wasn't good so I took the hoop off and got rid of it. I love hand quilting without a hoop or frame and have been told I'm unique. That may have been the case but now there are a dozen of us in my chapter bringing quilts to our meetings and we ALL hand quilt without a hoop or frame and thoroughly enjoy doing so. It took awhile for the others to give up their hoop and frame but after watching me doing it with such ease the past 2 years, one by one, they decided to give it a try and it has amazed me as each has now started bringing them to the meetings. What's really special about this is that when I joined 2 1/2 years ago, I was initially 1 of 2 hand quilters in the chapter. Seeing me work opening and being accepted, has encouraged others to come out and hand quilt at our meetings too and it's been fun seeing them give up their frames and hoops and realize how much more freedom we have. You do have to heavily baste to do this - about every 2 or 3 inches. I now average between 8 - 12 stitches per inch depending on the fabric. Oh yes, I also use polyester batting that I buy at JoAnn's and it gives my quilts a pretty poof and life and they wash and wear beautifully.
    Old 06-08-2010, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by KarenBarnes
    I don't use a hoop because it is too cumbersome! I have basted with the basting gun and plastic tabs. I'm sure that there are better ways to do it but that's how I do it! I'm hearing a lot about the adhesive spray and I just might try that next time!
    I don't care for the basting gun and have tried it several times but it doesn't hold the layers tight enough to suit me. I tend to hand baste thread about every 3 inches top to bottom AND side to side. I do this AFTER pin basting and both are left in until I'm quilting an area and then I gradually remove the pins and once the area is quilted will remove some the hand basting in the quilted area.

Supposedly the glue basting is fine for machine quilting but NOT recommended for hand quilting as it will pull apart while we hand baste due to all of the handling of the quilt. I've not tried it so really don't know first hand, just from what I've read.
    Old 06-08-2010, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
    I have always wanted to try it but thought it was "taboo". I think I would like hand quilting a lot more this way. I am going to give it a try soon. Thanks for the link.
    When it comes to quilting, nothing is taboo unless you are working on a quilt to be entered into a juried show and then you definitely want to be sure of what the rules and guidelines are but for quilts you do for yourself or as gifts, anything goes.
    Old 06-08-2010, 07:42 PM
    Google Goddess

thanks grammypatty for all of your comments, I learned something
    Old 06-08-2010, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
    thanks grammypatty for all of your comments, I learned something
    You're welcome. I also quilt in panels so I can manage my queen sized quilts more comfortably.