Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Links and Resources
  • Little-Waste Bias Binding >
  • Little-Waste Bias Binding

• Little-Waste Bias Binding

Old 04-30-2018, 05:22 PM

This method looks interesting. I've seen it used to make piping.

You can also make bias binding with the strip dies. There is a special way to fold the rectangle fabric. The strips have to be sewn together after cutting them though.
    Old 04-30-2018, 06:15 PM

I had seen a chart like this once before but have never been able to find it again. Thanks for posting the site. I have bookmarked it so hopefully I will be able to find it again.

Originally Posted by JENNR8R

Last edited by Jannie; 04-30-2018 at 06:18 PM.
    Old 04-30-2018, 09:28 PM

I thought we had a loaves and fishes situation here because it would take a miracle to get 5 yards of binding in the width I need (2 1/2") from a fat quarter, but the method is great, whatever width you cut. I clipped instructions for that from a magazine more than 25 years ago, but it's great to have it bookmarked where I can actually find it.
    Old 05-01-2018, 03:42 AM

Jennr8r- I have used this before and it worked great. My troubles with sewing each strip together is I often don’t have them matching. So when I open up the seam it isn’t beautifully straight like in all the videos. Just a problem I have with sewing strips together. I still do it, but I do rip some out or just cut off and start over.
    Old 05-01-2018, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Fizzle
    Jennr8r- I have used this before and it worked great. My troubles with sewing each strip together is I often don’t have them matching. So when I open up the seam it isn’t beautifully straight like in all the videos. Just a problem I have with sewing strips together. I still do it, but I do rip some out or just cut off and start over.
    The tutorial I posted in the beginning doesn't have you sewing each strip together. That's one of the reasons I liked it.

luvrazz mentioned a Youtube video in Post #4 that was a different method requiring the strips to be sewn together after cutting. Is that what you are referring to?
    Old 05-02-2018, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Fizzle
    Fizzle, Here are a couple of tips for sewing the strips on the 45 degree angle. I use the grid on a cutting mat to lay them out first and mark across the seam line. It is easier to line them up on the machine and stitch. Leave the "legs" --long pieces hanging down like pajama bottoms and sew across the "waist" on the 45 degree angle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JmRWzQlrhU

Another one for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr_QJLeyIaQ

Hope that helps.