Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Links and Resources
  • Meadow Mist Designs Mystery Quilt >
  • Meadow Mist Designs Mystery Quilt

• Meadow Mist Designs Mystery Quilt

Old 11-16-2016, 07:25 AM

Looks really nice, Jeanne! I seriously can't wait to start my November clue, but unfortunately my sewing machine is in the shop for timing issues and repairs. I so hope I can get it back by next week. My days are feeling incomplete without at least stitching up one seam a day!
    Old 11-16-2016, 01:31 PM

NZ, I would be lost without my machine too! Hope you get it back soon!!
    Old 11-19-2016, 03:20 PM

I love Jeanne's blocks. The pop of red is going to be beautiful.

I have mine done, but can't seem to get the picture to upload to this board. I will try again later. Now that I have them cut, I discovered a little bit of an issue with my S-I-S blocks. It seems that I forgot that I had cut the fabric E blocks at 3.5" instead of 3 3/8" and it has made my S-I-S blocks too big. I guess I will have to cut them down so I won't have good points, but I am okay with it.
    Old 11-19-2016, 08:29 PM

Silliness, I decided to cut down my oversized, original cut pieces before starting the November clue, and I am sure glad I did! I just don't see how the finished SIS blocks could have been trimmed down to 4 1/2" without losing all the points. Even after cutting mine back down to the stated size, I had a couple come out a little big and after trimming didn't have the 1/4" allowance left so will lose some points too. Cutting my pieces oversized at the first clue has made this quilt assembly MUCH harder than it needed to be. lesson learned!!
    Old 11-20-2016, 02:33 PM

I think you are right, Jeanne. I need to take my time and do test blocks each month since cutting larger may need to be adjusted ahead of time.

I cannot get my photo to show up within the post, but I found a way to add a pdf showing my Nov blocks. Since I used two fabrics for A, I did half of each type of block in each fabric.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]562503[/ATTACH]

One more thing, I did buy the Bloc Loc flying geese set #3 (contains a 2X4 and 3X6) and it was so easy to trim both my geese (2X4) and S-I-S (3X6) blocks perfectly. It only took me 10 minutes to trim all of the blocks. I am so glad that I purchased it. I also bought the orange ruler tape in case I need it.
    Attached Files
    File Type: pdf
    nov blocks.pdf (1.58 MB, 154 views)

Last edited by silliness; 11-20-2016 at 02:39 PM.
    Old 11-21-2016, 07:05 AM

I love your blocks, silliness! I really can't wait to see your quilt finished, because of the reversed light and dark values. You are very braving trying it and I know it's going to look wonderful
    Old 11-21-2016, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter
    I love your blocks, silliness! I really can't wait to see your quilt finished, because of the reversed light and dark values. You are very braving trying it and I know it's going to look wonderful
    Thank you, NZquilter. I hope your machine is out of the shop soon. It always takes at least two weeks for mine to get serviced at the dealer and it feels like forever so I know you must be ready to get back in front of the machine.
    Old 11-21-2016, 08:10 AM

I'm trying very hard to be patient. Lol!
    Old 11-23-2016, 07:31 AM

I got my machine back! Yay! But what a drama; I had to take it back because all the tensions were totaly off even after the repairs. In order to quilt on it now, I have to raise the upper tension to the absolute highest and then play around with the lower tension too... something I have NEVER had to do! And then to piece, I have to bring everything back down again. I bought it on Amazon a couple of years back for only$150, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. Needless to say, I'm looking around for a cheap but good Brother quilting machine now
    Anyway, we will be traveling this weekend, but next week I'm going to be racing to finish November's clue before the next one is posted. Everyone stay warm and safe and Happy Thanksgiving!!
    Old 11-25-2016, 04:28 PM

Happy to report November clue finished ..I am hoping no more S.I.S. Blocks...
    December clue will be out soon.

Judy in Phx, AZ