New EQ 8

Old 10-30-2017, 09:52 AM

I bought EQ7 about a year ago (I'd had old versions, but none were upgradable). At the time I asked the company if they were planning an upgrade. They said not in the foreseeable future because they couldn't think of anything new they needed to do. Just one year later, here's the upgrade.

So my answer about whether I'll upgrade: Not in the foreseeable future, because according to them, there's nothing new they needed to do :-). If EQ8 is anything like EQ7, it's on a many year release cycle, so I can wait until the upgrade price gets better through resellers.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:45 PM

I've never used EQ any version, but massdrop has a pretty good sale on EQ8 right now ($179.99), so I think I'll take the plunge. Hope it doesn't just gather dust and cobwebs on my PC
Old 11-05-2017, 05:47 PM

got the upgrade last week--kept having some computer problems with resetting my password (could not remember to save me) but they got it fixed really fast and I'm liking what I've played with so far. Especially like the range of custom quilt layouts as templates without even having to alter it. And much better fabric swatches. It rolled over all the stuff I'd added to my EQ7 (like Quiltmaker quilting stencils)but not the manufacturers website swatches of fabric I'd added--so will have to take the time to upload it. More stencil designs included to. I love that the menu bars are so obvious--hated on EQ7 that I never could figure out who buttons were really for or how to find something I needed.
Glad I made the upgrade.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:02 PM

Does anyone think they will de-list EQ7 and force everyone into EQ8??? I'm just as happy going to a LQS and buying a pattern. Designing my own is pretty much out of the question for this old hen.

The cost of upgrade is now $99.00????

Marcia

Last edited by Battle Axe; 11-13-2017 at 03:03 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-14-2017, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe
Does anyone think they will de-list EQ7 and force everyone into EQ8??? I'm just as happy going to a LQS and buying a pattern. Designing my own is pretty much out of the question for this old hen.

Marcia
what do you mean by "de--list" EQ7? I know when they upgraded from EQ6 to 7, if you had 6 it stayed on your computer. My EQ7 is still on my computer now too. I do think they have quit selling EQ7 now. i do think the upgrade sale price of $75 ended Nov 6 or around then. They do usually have a sale closer to Christmas although I'm thinking what they will put on sale is the 2 new books already out on EQ8.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:51 PM

I want to TEST DRIVE IT FIRST - to see if it really is better. WHY can't they do a small TEST DRIVE type thing??

I plan of upgrading my Mac OS so I'm a bit nervous about what will happen to my EQ7 when I do. Plus, pushing out a costly program at this time of year - property taxes, Christmas, I'm not spending money on it right now. WAY to many other things that need tending too first. PLUS, I think they need to have MORE VIDEO TUTORIAL'S. The youtube ones aren't bad but they need to dump the ones with the two women and just do the ones showing WHERE to get stuff.

Some folks are having great Success with the EQ8 and others, not so much. I'll be waiting to see how it plays out.

Last edited by tuckyquilter; 11-14-2017 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:10 PM

I hope not because I don't like being treated like a Hostage....
Old 11-14-2017, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe

Marcia
I hope not because I don't like being treated like a Hostage....
Old 11-15-2017, 04:47 AM
Administrator

halting sales of a lower version once the newest one is on the market is not holding us hostage.
it just makes sense and avoids confusion.

there might be online sources, or shops, that will continue selling 7 until they run out.

i got the upgrade to 8.
very different, so i will have to get used to the new interface.
an old dog can learn new tricks ... it just takes a while. lol
Old 11-15-2017, 07:22 AM

I don't think I'll upgrade until and unless they have a downloadable demo of the new version that I can play with. EQ7 does fine for me - there are definitely things about it I would change, but until I'm convinced EQ8 is a significant enough upgrade I'm feeling no urge or excitement about trying a new version.