Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Links and Resources
  • for NEW paper piecers! >
  • for NEW paper piecers!

• for NEW paper piecers!

Old 04-06-2012, 06:29 AM

I've been using the Carol Doak method to PP for years now.....have tried many other ways and always come running back to this one. I use old postcards to line up along the fold line....for me, just an easy step. Then I push either the 1/8th or 1/4" ruler up to the hard postcard and cut. I make quite a few "tiny" blocks and this method works like magic to make sure my points are crisp and my little pieces fit.......I think this tute is a very good way to visualize how to do it. Just take it step by step and have fun......
    Old 04-06-2012, 07:08 AM

Thank you for sharing this great site.
    Old 04-06-2012, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by omaluvs2quilt
    Thanks! I have paper pieced a few things but end up ripping out more than I sew. Maybe this can help me understand it a little better. My problem is always figuring out how to get the pieces going the right direction, they always end up backwards if they're at an angle.
    Just want to encourage you to keep trying. I love pp, however, usually when I start a new pattern I do rip out quite a few times until I get it right. Usually I am not guessing the right length/width of fabric to completely cover the area once the fabric is flipped. While it might seem like I rip 2 seams for every seam I sew (lol) I finally get it together and make fewer mistakes as I go. Hope this helps.
    Old 04-06-2012, 09:05 AM

Thanks for the support, I will keep trying for sure...I WILL master this : )

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams
    Just want to encourage you to keep trying. I love pp, however, usually when I start a new pattern I do rip out quite a few times until I get it right. Usually I am not guessing the right length/width of fabric to completely cover the area once the fabric is flipped. While it might seem like I rip 2 seams for every seam I sew (lol) I finally get it together and make fewer mistakes as I go. Hope this helps.
    Old 04-07-2012, 05:36 PM

I thought PP was very confusing until I watched Carol Doake's video (bought with coupon at JoAnn). I decided that I'd learn and follow her method even though I knew that you didn't NEED to have the card or the "Add a Quarter" ruler etc. since it enabled me to develop a "rhythm". One friend told me how "stupid and unnecessary" it was to do it that way but those "extra tools" have saved me a lot of time and frustration so I feel they more than paid for themselves. Could I do PP without them now? -- almost certainly -- but I still use them anyway.
    Old 04-08-2012, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by sweetana3
    I have made numerous paper pieced projects from cards to queen sized quilts and never used any of the extra tools she recommends.
    I have never used anything either, I just did a page of the blocks I wanted and then if I can remember, I used color crayons and sketched the blocks on the page like a quilt so I knew how I wanted to set them up. then colored in the colors of the fabricks,, but I do not remember any thing about any Cards.
    I have her 1, 2, and 3 books, and more. my Daughter and I put on some Ragae? Spelling? Music, from comcast and sat for 4 hours removing paper.. we had a great time. and a couple of glasses of wine, LOL..