Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Links and Resources
  • Palm rotary cutter? >
  • Palm rotary cutter?

• Palm rotary cutter?

Old 04-06-2018, 06:15 AM

Default Palm rotary cutter?

I just watched a YouTube video from junction fabric.com demo a quilt pattern called two by two-which is a cute easy pattern-anyway, she used two accessories which looked a bit clunky to me. One, this rotary cutter that was in the palm of her hand and a handle on the ruler, which looked so big and clunky it seemed to block out the measurements on the ruler...and when she was cutting it seemed to be a bit clumsy. But perhaps for those with hand pain, these might be solutions or at least an easier way. Anyone here have either of these accesories? If so, do you like?
    Old 04-06-2018, 08:27 AM
    Power Poster

The rotary cutter is attached to the ruler. Here's the fiskar's version, but other manufacturer's make them:
    http://www.quiltersreview.com/fiskar...r-ruler-combo/

It's a love 'em or hate 'em with this tool. My cousin swears by hers. I sold mine.
    Old 04-07-2018, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B
    I just watched a YouTube video from junction fabric.com demo a quilt pattern called two by two-which is a cute easy pattern-anyway, she used two accessories which looked a bit clunky to me. One, this rotary cutter that was in the palm of her hand and a handle on the ruler, which looked so big and clunky it seemed to block out the measurements on the ruler...and when she was cutting it seemed to be a bit clumsy. But perhaps for those with hand pain, these might be solutions or at least an easier way. Anyone here have either of these accesories? If so, do you like?
    If I am cutting stripes, this cutter is wonderful. I do put some weights on the far end so it doesn't move I can use this setting down, so my back don't get to hurting. Between my accuquilt big Go and the stripe cutting I can get a quilt cut in less than an hour.
    Old 04-07-2018, 05:33 AM

No, the rotary cutter is not attached to the ruler..I have and like that setup. This was a cutter attached to her hand by a Velcro type band and she was sort of holding it like you would a balk? The handle for the ruler , I'm guessing, is suction cupped on, but it looked big and in the way.....actually both items are on the website in their shop.....
    Old 04-07-2018, 06:52 AM

I've watched her use that rotary cutter and I don't like that the blade is uncovered and getting your hand in the thing. Not something I ever wanted. It might be OK for someone who has problems holding a regular rotary cutter. I know a lot of people were interested in it.
    Old 04-07-2018, 07:14 AM

Oh I love mine. I use it every time I am cutting. Glad I have it.
    Old 04-07-2018, 08:24 AM

I bought one years ago and it sits in a corner of my sewing room. I tried it once and it didn't cut, so I changed the blade, still no luck.
    Old 04-07-2018, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B
    No, the rotary cutter is not attached to the ruler..I have and like that setup. This was a cutter attached to her hand by a Velcro type band and she was sort of holding it like you would a balk? The handle for the ruler , I'm guessing, is suction cupped on, but it looked big and in the way.....actually both items are on the website in their shop.....
    several of the quilters in my tuesday group used the handle, tho over the years several have ceased using it. it's large, clunky ..and after i tried it a few times, i decided it was a waste of money ..something i have very little of.
    i've seen the palm cutter in catalogs and w the way the hand is flexed with downward pressure to cut ..it would create major havoc (read >>pain!) in my arthritic hands & wrists. so that's a no to me also
    Old 04-08-2018, 03:40 PM
    Power Poster

if someone gave me one, i'd use it to cut strips if I needed a lot of them.