Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Kaffe Fasset & Westminister, Free Spirit Fabrics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/kaffe-fasset-westminister-free-spirit-fabrics-t294741.html)

Patchworkbarb 02-12-2018 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 8002293)
Totally agree!!!

................... watch the pandemonium and fabric hoarding start, with the uncertainty!

Yup,that’s me, bought as much KF as I could afford

QuiltingVagabond 02-13-2018 04:00 AM

I hope the screens to print the fabric are the property of the designer and not Westminster/Coats or it may be awhile before we see fabric from these talented designers! Those lines take months to develop to get to printing stage.

Geri B 02-13-2018 05:32 AM

.....the designers will probably be able to work with other mfgrs, but how about the employees of the facility,wonder how many there are actually.

waltonalice 02-13-2018 07:35 AM

What a shame. The company has produced such clear designs and the fabric is a perfect weight. I love the fact that many of the fabrics are available for a long time, since I don’t live near a quilt shop. I’ll have to shop soon!

JanieH 02-13-2018 01:02 PM

Oh, my, I had not heard this before reading it here. Makes me want to run out and buy more KF fabric - I love his designs.
Hopefully another company will pick up him and the others.

quiltingshorttimer 02-13-2018 04:47 PM

Oh my! I heard Scott Fortunato--Jaftex Textiles (Studio E, Windham, etc) speak and he said while the market is very tight, one of the biggest issues is finding designers to come up with new lines--so hopefully all these wonderful designers will be picked up elsewhere. Wow--this is going to really shake up the fabric industry!

ladyinpurple135 02-13-2018 06:28 PM

That is so sad to hear. Red Rooster and Kona Bay have also stopped production. Fabrics are getting more expensive for us to buy and for manufacturers to make profitably. I would not be surprised so see more manufacturers have to close. We are so lucky to have the amazing amount of different designers, manufacturers, fabrics, etc. now. When I started back in 1979 we didn’t have a lot of choices so we were taught to buy all the fabrics needed, inc,using borders, slashing and backing at one time. I dint do that now as I,know I can always find something wonderful whenever I may need it - even if it’s years later :).

Sandy in Mooresville, NC

jmoore 02-14-2018 04:27 AM

I agree with SewBizgirl, why not sell the company rather than just shutting down...makes you wonder what the story is. I’m sure the designers will find new sponsors for their lines and the popular designers will have less trouble.

Sandygirl 02-15-2018 02:04 AM

Coats & Clark is the corporate entity that is divesting itself of producing these brands. I am sure that other mfgrs will pick up the designers. Stay tuned.....
sandy

Geri B 02-15-2018 05:09 AM

So it seems this is just a conglomerate move....but as I mentioned before, the "designers" will definitely be picked up by others, but the employees of the brick and mortar facility will be out of jobs! Unless the takeover continues producing...