Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Meadow Mist Designs Mystery Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/meadow-mist-designs-mystery-quilt-t280303.html)

Jeanne S 10-10-2016 04:24 AM

I am working on the October clue and am REALLY regretting my decision to cut all the pieces 1/4" larger and trim!!! I finished all the first HST units just fine. But when I go to the second step of using one HST unit and one solid 5" square, they are not the same size at all. So I centered the solid piece on top of the larger HST piece, marked the diagonal and sewed, cut and pressed. This results in a non-square 1/4 hourglass block, and trimming it down to the finished 4 1/2" size is tricky. I align the center diagonal seam on my square ruler to trim, but depending on which sides I trim there can be a pretty big variance in the look of the block. I will never do this cutting method again. It is OK for HST, but not for any further combinations.
So I am regrouping on this clue and first am going to trim down all my HST units and solid squares to 5" square before sewing the quarter triangle units. uGH!!!

quiltsRfun 10-10-2016 06:11 AM

Jeanne, that's one of the things I've found about mysteries. You always learn something. I learned that I don't like the draw lines and sew before cutting method for triangles. I don't know how it happened but my seams were wonky. I sewed right on the lines but after cutting the pieces bowed at the seamline. I think I was able to salvage them. Will post pictures later.

judy363905 10-10-2016 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun (Post 7673501)
Jeanne, that's one of the things I've found about mysteries. You always learn something. I learned that I don't like the draw lines and sew before cutting method for triangles. I don't know how it happened but my seams were wonky. I sewed right on the lines but after cutting the pieces bowed at the seamline. I think I was able to salvage them. Will post pictures later.

Wondering if you stretched the bias when drawing lines..maybe try a lighter hand when drawing them...hope this helps

To square up the 4-1/2 blocks, I used neon tape on the back of my square ruler at the 4-1/2 lines, this sure helped a lot.
Only finished 16 block B/D...the B/E (28) will take longer :)

Judy in Phx, AZ

Jeanne S 10-10-2016 04:04 PM

Judy, no stretching. My problem is that against my better judgement I cut all pieces 1/4 inch larger than the cutting instruction measurements. This method was given as an option "for those that like to trim their blocks down after sewing". I normally get pretty accurate results and this constant adjusting/trimming is driving me bonkers! After I trimmed the HST blocks down to the right size before sewing on the square to make the Quarter hourglass units everything is working like it should.
Almost done with this clue though, will post photos as soon as I can. Just debating about whether to go ahead and trim down all the remaining cut pieces before the future clues....
I also use painters tape on my ruler to mark the 4 1/2" lines---saves lots of eye strain!

silliness 10-10-2016 05:38 PM

Yikes, I better do a test block when I get a chance to tackle this. Thanks for the heads up.

judy363905 10-10-2016 07:08 PM

Jeanne, my comments were for QuiltsRfun ~~~ she was using your comments and then added her own issues about bowed seams. I did get a few more blocks made this afternoon, slow and steady :)

Judy in Phx, AZ

NZquilter 10-15-2016 06:39 AM

I know I am late for the start up, but do you ladies think I could catch up easily? I just saw this and would like to try it. A mystery quilt sounds like a lot of fun!

silliness 10-15-2016 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter (Post 7677447)
I know I am late for the start up, but do you ladies think I could catch up easily? I just saw this and would like to try it. A mystery quilt sounds like a lot of fun!

This is only the second sewing clue, so I think you can easily catch up. I hope you will join us.

NZquilter 10-15-2016 10:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't have enough large pieces of fabric, so I gather up some of my 1/3 yd pieces of coordinating Christmas fabric for colors B and C. It will make more of a controlled scrappy look, but I hope it will work. What do you all think? Fabric A and fabric D and E and whole pieces. Please tell me your honest opinion:) I don't want to go out and buy more fabric, but if needed I will:) Nice excuse:)

Jeanne S 10-15-2016 12:17 PM

NZquilter, please do join us! Each of the clues (cutting, then 2 sewing clues so far)have only taken a couple of hours to do, and there is only one per month!! So you have lots of time. The only question I would have is about your fabric A choice. The directions said to avoid directional fabrics and I wonder if the plaid would work--the clues so far are making lots of triangle shapes. The rest look rest to me!