Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Links and Resources
  • Printing On Fabric with Ink Jet Printer Information >
  • Printing On Fabric with Ink Jet Printer Information

• Printing On Fabric with Ink Jet Printer Information

Old 04-05-2018, 05:24 PM

I think your old Canon will do just fine.
    Old 04-08-2018, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by lwbuchholz
    yolajean
    I decided to make the quilt with embroidered flowers. The pastels I chose didn't play well with the dark colors of the flower prints. I used a decoupage glue but I am sure any water based glue would work. this was a post by gammieju so if you search her name you should find more information. I will post a picture of to flowers side by side. I washed all of them to see how they would work in a quilt and the darker one is the one with the glue. The fabric is a little stiffer than normal but is like taffeta as gammieju stated in her post. Every picture I printed and treated this way washed so very well! I tried all kinds of pretreatments and some of the commercial and they either didn't work or were way above my budget.
    I had to experiment and I am sure you will have too. My glue ended up clear and not very thick.
    Lynda
    Thank you, Iwbucholz! This is a great example and I am going to try it for sure. The Canon printer that I am using, for whatever reason, (and it may be me!!!) does not print a bright sharp image to begin with. Nothing like the flower with the dark background. Mine start out similar to the other example. Have to deal with that before I may expect a better block. appreciate all of your comments and help.
    Old 04-08-2018, 07:20 AM

I am surprised you ladies are using a glue/decoupage solution, though I am glad to hear that it works. I always use a "textile medium" to stop ink flow, to permanently prep for heat setting the ink/photo/paint, and to give the fabric a soft hand when completed. The "Golden" brand, that I buy at joanns or michaels, claims on its label that "it provides a soft hand an increased launderability"