Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Links and Resources
  • Roll Roll, Cotton Boll! Mystery Part 1 >
  • Roll Roll, Cotton Boll! Mystery Part 1

• Roll Roll, Cotton Boll! Mystery Part 1

Old 12-24-2010, 08:05 AM

I love the brown, pink and green together. Having a hard time picturing how the red is going to bring it all together!
    Old 12-26-2010, 01:21 PM

How's everyone doing on part 6? I have all my HSTs sewn together. I found that 15 was my magic number. Doing them in groups of 15 got me moving fairly quickly. I have all my triangles cut and heading back into the sewing room to see if I can get them done today. I still have no idea how this is going to turn out, but very excited for the next clue ;)
    Old 12-26-2010, 02:35 PM

I'll be caught up soon. The first step is done and I'm maybe halfway through the second step. It's going quickly though.

I'm eager for next week when we will start assembling subcomponents into blocks.

I'm glad I stuck with the original color combination. It's looking great.
    Old 12-26-2010, 05:15 PM

Oh I just got part 6 done. I really wanted to get it done before going back to work tomorrow. Now I should go get all the things done that I should have been doing ;)

pictures posted: http://suedaurio.blogspot.com/2010/1...rt-6-done.html

Can't wait for Friday to start putting it all together!!
    Old 12-27-2010, 04:45 PM

WOOHOO! Finally got 60 string blocks done!! I really did not enjoy doing them and am so glad to be done with them. Now only have to make 300 more HSTs and sew them into 5-rows. finished part 6 step 2 also. I am determined to be all caught up by Friday for the next step.
    Old 12-27-2010, 04:46 PM

Sue your colors are fantastic! That gold really does show up well and brightens the palette up. Can't wait to see how this all comes together.
    Old 12-27-2010, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by vbourck
    WOOHOO! Finally got 60 string blocks done!! I really did not enjoy doing them and am so glad to be done with them. Now only have to make 300 more HSTs and sew them into 5-rows. finished part 6 step 2 also. I am determined to be all caught up by Friday for the next step.
    I'm so surprised. I loved making the string blocks, and am seriously considering a whole quilt in that method.
    Old 12-27-2010, 05:35 PM

me too! I'm going to do a black, white and red string quilt. I never really cared for them until I did this mystery and now I'm hooked on the string blocks!
    Old 12-27-2010, 06:49 PM

So far I think I am the only person who hasn't liked making these string blocks. I do like how they look, just found them very tedious to piece. Now if I were doing QAYG, I think I would like them a lot better! And I have seen some really pretty quilts made of string blocks- maybe it was just the huge amount of them that had to be made? Anyway, I know when this quilt is finished I will be glad I did them. I am NOT whining!!!
    Old 12-27-2010, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by vbourck
    So far I think I am the only person who hasn't liked making these string blocks. I do like how they look, just found them very tedious to piece. Now if I were doing QAYG, I think I would like them a lot better! And I have seen some really pretty quilts made of string blocks- maybe it was just the huge amount of them that had to be made? Anyway, I know when this quilt is finished I will be glad I did them. I am NOT whining!!!
    Vickie - I have a string quilt I have made several times that is a QAYG. It is in a book called "Quick Quilts" by Susan Ramey Wright. You start with a backing and batting the same size (in the instructions 6 1/2 X 39" - I have made larger ones using the same idea), then start at one end of the strip and sew strips from 1 3/4 to 2 3/4" on a diagonal across the strip. The instructions are for a crib size quilt, but I've made several 57 X 72" lap size quilts using this design. It makes a ladder effect. In this quilt you make the "ladders" go up on one strip, and down on the next. Makes an interesting variation. There are 2 1/2" sashing strips between the ladders. and a 3 1/2" border.