Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Machine Embroidery
  • Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >
  • Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

• Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 10-20-2013, 07:49 PM

At PIQF I looked at the Artista 7, it's the latest edition. Since I'm new to this, I'd like to know: what digitizing system do you have and what do you like about it?
    Old 10-21-2013, 01:30 AM
    Power Poster

Mannem I have the same machine. Try threading it with UNWAXED dental floss a few times. If that doesn't work, try removing the plastic bobbin case cover then the metal one & clean it.
    Make SURE you replace the metal one 1st then the plastic one.
    Old 10-21-2013, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by snow
    Does anyone know if u can emborider on a pair of leggings 50 poly and 50 spandex without hurting the memory? and if u can how do u put them on the hoops or do u? thanks
    I have not tried this, but I did look it up. I have a book by Deborah Jones "Machine Embroidery on Difficult Materials" that has really great information. 1. Needle - use a light or medium ball point needle depending on the weight of the fabric. 2. Stabilizer - Do not stretch while hooping. Use fusible cut-away stabilizer. (She recommends Fusible PolyMesh) If using a non-fusible polymesh then pull slightly when hooping with a lightweight strong cut-away stabilizer. She also recommends hooping a lightweight water soluble topper to keep the machine from pushing the knit. When you unhoop the project it will pucker a bit, but when worn will lay flat. Hope this helps! Jane
    Old 10-22-2013, 10:08 AM

I have a question I'm asking for a friend who is doing some embroidery for her daughter. Her daughter asked her to make her veil. She wants her to embroider on it using metallic threads. How would you go about stabilizing it ( what type to use) and/or how would you keep from moving, etc.. Any tips and/or suggestions?
    Old 10-22-2013, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by quiltnut4ever
    We'll I'll begin by saying that it was worth it!! I learned so much of their software n stabilizers that I had many notes. I bought stabilizers n some thread but came home very satisfied. I must say that there was a quilt police there noting n inspecting the samples that were passed around, done by the instructor n she was rude about it but I payed her no mind. Sophie if u have it on ur bucket list n u can go, do it u won't b disappointed.
    Thanks for the "review". I will be looking at the schedules and hope to go next year. My biggest hurdle is that the events are usually at least 3 hour drive away. Oh well, road trip! Thanks again.
    Old 10-22-2013, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by sewred
    I have a question I'm asking for a friend who is doing some embroidery for her daughter. Her daughter asked her to make her veil. She wants her to embroider on it using metallic threads. How would you go about stabilizing it ( what type to use) and/or how would you keep from moving, etc.. Any tips and/or suggestions?
    i did my nieces veil this summer. I hooped water solvable sticky stabilizer, set the veiling on the sticky then topped with water solvable clear topper. This kept the veiling from moving. The topper kept the stitches above the veiling and also kept the embroidery foot from acedently catching the veiling and tearing it. I used both metallic threads and rayon threads in the design. When done with the embroidery, I soaked the veiling in warm water, gently rolled in between two towels to help dry it, then hung to finish dry. Lightly sprayed with light starch and pressed between two pressing cloths. Turned out beautiful. Practice your design on pieces of netting first. Good luck. This will be a beautiful project and a great memory.
    Old 10-23-2013, 03:23 AM

Bneighbor that sounds like it came out beautiful! Do you have a pic of the veil to share? I'm now intrigued...
    Old 10-23-2013, 03:57 AM

If anyone has a problem with the uptake thread coming out with their viking, there is a fix for it now. This causes your embroidery to snarl up and bird nest underneath.
    Old 10-23-2013, 04:03 AM
    Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by sewred
    I do veils for a living and when using regular thread I use wash away on front and back. BUT with metallic, you might want to add a couple more layers to be safe. Best bet: experiment!
    Old 10-29-2013, 08:58 AM

Has anyone made a quilt using a Anita Goodesign mix and match quilting collection?