Tree fo Life

Old 08-09-2023, 04:56 AM

That is going to be so beautiful!!!
Old 08-11-2023, 10:21 PM

Had a relaxing afternoon finishing piecing the top together. There are a few lines that don't line up but I suspect that would be normal with stipples as individual pieces. The next job is to stipple the back with the same pattern as the front, this is tedious as I have to shuffle the fabric across the hoop and try to line it up as best as possible, it mainly consists of circles
Attached Thumbnails img_5550.jpg  
Old 08-12-2023, 10:45 PM

The family tree on the wife's side was the first with the extra leaves that are in the file . These leaves are different from the ones on the actual tree. The applique stitching is a bit howdy-doody about the way it's stitched, to make it easy I sewed the two fabrics together and tacked down both together to get a smooth center line. If anybody has made one of these they will know what I'm getting at. Stitched out wife and her family as we are 2nd married (40 years) Fonts, This was a learning curve for me as I have never done fonts before but they came out not bad after trial and error. Some I could do in the existing leaf file others I had to use the grid to place them
Attached Thumbnails img_5551.jpg  
Old 08-16-2023, 07:32 PM

Have completed the rest of the family leaves, just have to hand sew them into place. In the close-up pic, the trunk looks like it's not aligned.it's just on a fold and not laying flat. Starting to stipple the rear panel.
Attached Thumbnails img_5553.jpg   img_5552.jpg  
Old 08-29-2023, 07:08 PM

Location: I live in Vero Beach, Florida but am originally from Massachusetts.

I went out a bought the book and CD after seeing your post. I plan on starting later this week. Couple of questions:

How heavy is the finished quilt?
Did you use stabilizer and batting or do you think I could get away with just the batting?
what fabric line did you use? I was going to use hand dyed (my own) but wonder if it would be better to get a soft palette line for variety in the appliqués.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-29-2023, 08:48 PM

Hi Yiaya The quilt is not finished yet ,I still have to stipple the back panel and assemble all together with in the ditch stitching and a border. Weight will be about 2lb for the one I doing, this will depend on what size you choose. The stabilizer I use is H 1065 sf iron on medium weight ,and the batting is iron on Vilene H640 .Fabric is white cotton drill, nearly a light canvas as this wears well and is resilient to tearing also gives a good embroidery finish.The applique inserts are just scraps ,I didn't stick to any protocol on fabric prints except to color match the the PDF print out which I follow while embroidering. I have a Janome machine and stick to the Janome color changes that the machine calls for on each color change.The back is an Australian Aboriginal artwork cotton which I will post some pics in the near future. The embroidery and applique will keep you busy as there are 70 panels plus the extra applique leaves to add with family names Have fun
Old 08-29-2023, 09:07 PM

Thank you so much for your reply! I’m planning on the largest size because this will be for my mil and there are seven children and untold grandchildren and great grandchildren. Wondering if you think it would be hard to add one more branch? If I can’t I will add a bachelor brother on some where. Have one sil whose family may have to squeeze on.
The weight will be huge (loving the two pounds) as Mil is turning 90 in November. I have my work cut out for me! Thanks again for your help
Old 08-30-2023, 07:03 AM

Wow! What a project!
Old 08-30-2023, 04:22 PM

Hi Yiaya You could probably use the size D leaves so you can hang maybe double the amount of leaves as required for your large family. I see the largest leaf (a) is 5 1/4 inch long and the smallest (d) is 2 3/4 inch This would help you hang a lot more names on the tree
Old 08-30-2023, 05:32 PM

Thanks Zoo animals,
I quickly read the book but had not drilled down into details. I so appreciate your input 😊!