Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • $1000 machine isn't good? >
  • $1000 machine isn't good?

• $1000 machine isn't good?

Old 09-06-2012, 07:26 AM

Someone else already mentioned the Juki hzl f600. That's the machine on my wish list. I have taken one for a test drive at a dealer and fell in love
    Old 09-06-2012, 07:28 AM

Ppfffftt to that salesperson. I have 6 machines and my favorite is a used Brother 1500s, I bought it from a fellow quilter for $400.

Last edited by Peckish; 09-06-2012 at 07:31 AM.
    Old 09-06-2012, 07:29 AM

The OP has discovered that she has a 101. It's noisier than the 201, but not difficult to find parts for if you want to get it running. It's a good, strong machine, but it's not particularly sought-after by most collectors or quilters - I don't know very much about 101's, but I do know that people who have several different models prefer their 201's or 15's to the 101 - I can't remember which features it's missing compared to the others. Reverse and droppable feed dogs, maybe?

Personally, I would buy a 15-90 or 15-91 and put that in the 101's cabinet. The 201 is great, and probably the quietest electric sewing machine ever made - I LOVE them! But the bobbin is smaller which requires much more frequent bobbin changes while you're free-motion quilting and with the bobbin being horizontally oriented, you may have more skipped stitches than with a vertical bobbin.

The 15 will power through anything without any trouble at all, there's a lot of room under the arm, (I've quilted king-sized quilts in mine) it takes standard 15x1 needles and class 15 bobbins and replacement parts are cheap and easy to find. I've had Jenny at sew-classic.com rewire the motors for me and I buy replacement lights, cords and foot controls for all of my 15's and 201's.

The 15's are so plentiful that if you can't find a really nice one for $50 or less in under a month, I'd be shocked. Spend $50-100 on the machine and another $150 on the electrics and you've got a machine that will do anything you ask it to. You can buy huge assortments of attachments for very little and those attachments are what make your straight-stitch machine versatile. I love the rolled hemmers, the gatherer and the flat-felling feet.

I use my 15's for 99% of all my sewing - in conjuction with the serger, I can do anything.
    Old 09-06-2012, 08:27 AM
    Power Poster

I have a Baby Lock Espire (now "Symphonie") and it went for just over $2K. It is a wonderful machine and hopefully one that will last me a LOOOOOONG time. That said, I know there are really good machines out there for around $1k. The trick is to identify your must-have features. Then go out and test drive.

If a machine has trouble going over heavy seams, there is a Thing-a-ma-gig that helps get over the seam.

My must have is needle up/down, needle sideways position change, good lighting, large throat, motor speed, and good stitch quality on the blanket stitch. Everything else is gravy.
    Old 09-06-2012, 08:50 AM
    Power Poster

I have really enjoyed reading all of your comments on this thread. I totally agree that you should be able to find a used machine with all of the bells and whistles at either a quilt show or from other quilter's from a guild. Some dealer's sell great trade in machines for a reasonable amount too. You should let the ones in your area know you are in the market and your top dollar amount and keep looking until you find what you want. The advantage of buying locally from a dealer is the service that machines require.

My sister asked me for my first bernina 830 and I gave it to her. Maybe if you let your family know you are in the market, there is a closet machine you could get for free. My "gift machine" had every foot you could buy for it. That is where the you can run into money... big time, with a bernina. Trust me, if you sew home dec or clothing, you will use them. They are worth thier weight in gold. Learn to use them and the built in stitches. You will be very happy you did.
    Old 09-06-2012, 08:55 AM
    Power Poster

$1000 will get you a Janome 6500. It is plenty of good. I have had mine for 8 years. If you are looking for shear strenght look at a vintage machine like Singer 15-91. You can porbabaly find one for $45.

A vintage Bernina 830 is about worth $830.
    Old 09-06-2012, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat
    I have an antique Singer 201 that my uncle gave me. I have never used it. I guess because I think of it as an antique rather than a working machine. I should give it a try. Thanks ladies for your encouragement.
    I have a 1939 Singer 201 that I bought at an auction for $20 about 15 years ago. I didn't use it for a long time because I didn't think it worked. Turns out, I was threading the needle incorrectly. Now it is my favorite machine. I would recommend the 201, or a Singer 15-91 for powering through those heavy seams.
    Old 09-06-2012, 09:12 AM

Yes, you can get a machine for $1000 that is good. I did, it was a Janome 5700; bought it used for $1000 and I
    have been sewing with it for at least 10 years. I have had a Singer 401A, New Home (which got stolen from
    a Western Wear Store that I worked at), a Necchi (which my DD wants someday), Pfaff 122 (which now doesn't work and I have put too much money into it already), a Brother from WalMart for GD#2, Another Singer used that
    quit. I have been sewing since I was in 4-H many years ago. Go to a dealer that you like and see what they
    have used, try it out first, especially lift it cause if you are going totake classes, you want to be able to lift it
    and carry it. My Janome is heavy so I use the Brother for classes. I hope you find the right one for you.
    Old 09-06-2012, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat
    I have an antique Singer 201 that my uncle gave me. I have never used it. I guess because I think of it as an antique rather than a working machine. I should give it a try. Thanks ladies for your encouragement.
    I don't have such a machine, but you definitely should be able to find something to fit your needs for your $1000! Talk to a different dealer! I do love my needle threader and needle up/down on the Horizon...but at that, I only had to pay under 2K new...
    Old 09-06-2012, 09:34 AM

I have a husqvarna I have had for ten years or more. It is my second one. It plows over double seams in denim or wool or whatever. I wouldn't trade it for anything. It also makes very good button holes. I don't think you can beat them but I wouldn't bother with one with too many extra features.