Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is $200 to quilt a queen a fair price? >
  • Is $200 to quilt a queen a fair price?

• Is $200 to quilt a queen a fair price?

Old 10-03-2013, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by petthefabric
    Here in Ca. The going rate is $0.015/sq in. (Goes higher for custom, difficult pattern, heavy density.)(Recently I had a customer who insisted on telling me all her woes, twice, & it was custom. When I figured she took up 2 hours of my time & mental capacity to whine and a rush job; she got charged $0.025/sq in. I also had to square up the back and pick up/deliver it 1 hr drive ea way from my work location. I don't really want her back as a custmer.) Anyway for 11000 sq in its $165. I think Ca is one of the most expensive states to live in. Prices here are probably high.
    The other consideration is the LAQ reputation. For several of the LAQ in an area near here, there's a 3-6 mo wait; they can charge a little extra.
    Another consideration is if it's a rush job. There may be an extra charge.
    If the LAQ needs to square up and/or press the back or front there might be an extra charge. If this is needed, I'll offer the customer the use of my equipment for her to do it herself.
    Thought of something else. If you go to the LAQ or she must deliver to you: might consider a delivery charge.

This is business, not charity. Sometimes there's more to the story.
    ABSOLUTELY, Petthefabric---I, too, am a LAQ, and although the number of square inches and the density/type of quilting are the BASIS of the charge, there are many more considerations. A well-pieced, well-pressed, squared up top with a correctly sized, well-pressed backing that can be mounted with no pains is a LAQ's dream. Anything less than that HAS to carry extra charge, or the LAQ finds himself/herself doing labor intensive, frustrating work for a little of nothing! Been there; ain't going back! As you said, this is a business, not a charity.
    Old 10-03-2013, 04:41 AM

I live in Maryland and I paid $100 for a lap size quilt with batting. I had to bind it.
    Old 10-03-2013, 04:44 AM

I pay $1/inch so a 80x90 would be $72. That is edge to edge pantograph and batting is more if I don't provide it. I would think $200 is pretty steep even if it includes the batting.
    Old 10-03-2013, 04:49 AM

That price is high, but I don't know where you live.
    Old 10-03-2013, 04:55 AM

In my area, it would cost you more. I don't think anyone around here would do a queen in any pattern for $200.
    Old 10-03-2013, 05:04 AM
    Power Poster

In my area it $60- $70 for simple meander queen - king and the batting is supplied. But usually thread ends are left and the start and stops are noticeable. I quit using them.
    Old 10-03-2013, 05:07 AM

Any pattern, whether a meander or pantograph this is what I am charged: For a Queen Size, I pay $50 to quilt it, $15 for the batting, and $15 to put on the binding. For a King Size, I pay $60 for the quilting, $15 for the batting and $15 for the binding. I am in western KY.
    Old 10-03-2013, 05:24 AM
    Power Poster

Depends on the size. I get mine done for 1 cent an inch and I pay her for her batting. It usually cost me under two hundred dollars for a queen size quilt.
    Old 10-03-2013, 05:49 AM

Yes,that is a fair price.You should have gotten an estimate.I assume you didn't.There are people out there that just need a little to supplement their income and don't charge what the market value is.Maybe next time you can find one of them.Shop around.You can find someone to work cheap.But keep in mind you get what you pay for.A "simple meander"can be pretty hard.You need to make sure the density is the same all over the quilt.Try it on your own.It isn't easy.And then the cost of the equipment and thread.Well it is all expensive.In my area no one will even talk to you for less then 2cents a square inch.
    Old 10-03-2013, 06:10 AM

I can get a KS done with any panto I want for about $150 including batting.