Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • "Eye" Spy Quilts ... some questions!! >
  • "Eye" Spy Quilts ... some questions!!

• "Eye" Spy Quilts ... some questions!!

Old 10-15-2011, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    Anyone and Everyone ... do you include two blocks, when they are the same subject (eg. cats), though different fabrics and colours? Or do you tend to keep to only one of a subject?
    I do not have as great a variety yet so I put everything in as long as it is appropriate for age and gender. Like for Lesander's quilt I put in two of more fire engines but from different fabrics. he loves cars and trucks and such. I also put in multiple dog fabrics and sea life fabrics.[/quote]

Yes I used all kinds of different fabric of same subject. That is part of the fun is saying "I spy" and finding and say I spy 6 cars, three cows etc. They learn to count and may need a little help depending on age but that is the fun of the quilt, playing with someone. Besides I wouldn't want to look for 200 different subjects. LOL I had my sister in another state ask her quilt guild members for any scraps I could use and also all my sewing and quilting friends so it really cut down on finding all the fabrics. Some prints had more then one thing I could use in it.
    I had a ball collecting and making the quilt and and my DH got where he wanted to help me find fabric. LOL Had to give him a template to when he was with me in a fabric store as he would look on his own and it was usually to big.
    Old 10-15-2011, 06:49 AM

quote=soccertxi]here are 2 pictures of what I call my 'cheater' I spy. I call it that because the original I Spy was done in hexagons and small triangles. WAY to many fabrics and too fussy for me! I start with a 6.5 inch sq and add 3.5 in triangles in 2 opposite corners. (be consistent with the corners!) I do the method where you put a sq in the corner and sew on the diagonal. The left over triangle squares are sewn together and then matched with another one to make flying geese. I use them in the border. Big brothers and sisters love to play match game! If I have any novelty squares left over, I either save them in an I spy stash, or if i dont' like them much(!) I use them on the pieced backing. I just learned I really like a solid for the triangles and border! Not sure I like the polka dot...

PS if you would like to see how I do those blocks, I can post a picture of a 'block in progress". You can start with any size block that you like, just making the corner triangle bigger or smaller to fit...[/quote]

I'd love to get a tutorial of how you make your I-spy quilts. They look sew fun.
    Old 10-15-2011, 06:57 AM

Thanks so much for this discussion! I am saving scraps for an I-Spy quilt and you all have given me some great tips and inspiration.
    Old 10-15-2011, 06:57 AM

With over 200 hexagons it's costly not to have repeats. I repeat some in a different section of quilt and call them find the twins. Lol
    Old 10-15-2011, 07:28 AM

I have made several but the one I did for a queen size bed, I wished later I had put in some sashing for a group of blocks or had interspersed some plain fabric blocks here and there. Mine was too big and too busy and the children did not enjoy it nearly as much as the smaller ones I'd done before.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-271556.jpe   attachment-271557.jpe  
    Old 10-15-2011, 08:20 AM

You can use a variety of sizes for your squares. I made one with 3 1/2 inch squares. Then if the pattern on the print needed more I used a multiple of this size like a 6 1/2 X3 1/2 or a 6 1/2 by 6 1/2 and I even have a few 9 1/2 by 3 1/2. Br arranging thise strategically you end up with a super looking quilt. My favorite ever I saw on a calander and the quilt was by Becky Goldmith.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=n2-...0quilt&f=false

Scroll down a bit to I Spy Squares to see the neat quilt.
    Old 10-15-2011, 08:39 AM

I recommend you go to the search above here, type in I Spy, look at all of the ones under the category pictures. You can see lots of examples. Under the category main, you may see some with questions and further discussion. Oh I love this board.
    Old 10-15-2011, 10:23 AM

here is one with smaller blocks, made for my grandson 4 years ago..his brother who is 15 months old,is using it now..
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-271656.jpe  
    Old 10-15-2011, 11:05 AM

years ago someone put out a panel for an eye spy quilt. It was wonderful as saved hours of looking and buying more fabric than needed. On stillhad to border and personalize it. I wish someone would do that again.
    Old 10-15-2011, 11:38 AM

I use 5 or 6 inch blocks, LQS have some, but walmart had the most variety. I put sashing in between. I also took pictures of their Mother, Father, siblings, grandparents, etc and even a baby picture of them, and put them into squares. They enjoy looking at the pictures at anytime.