Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • "Sharing patterns" - i'm in a quandry! >
  • "Sharing patterns" - i'm in a quandry!

• "Sharing patterns" - i'm in a quandry!

Old 03-14-2011, 02:56 PM

To answer your question yes. Now here is a question for you . Which is more important keeping a friend and quilting partner or refusing to share?You were going to copy it at her place of employment weren't you.
    Old 03-14-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by ThreadHead
    Originally Posted by coffeegirl
    I have a good quilting friend and recently we went shopping and I purchased a pattern. It was a $12 pattern with lots of embroidery in it and we both loved it. She works at a quilt shop where there is a large light table and said when it came time to trace my pattern I could come in and use it. When I was there yesterday she asked if I brought the pattern so "we" could start tracing it. It seems she assumed that I would share the pattern with her. I think that if she wants to make her own, she should have have purchased one herself. Am I being selfish? The designer of the pattern deserves her cut too! I am concerned about offending my friend. I know people do this all the time, but it doesn't sit right with me.
    Which one do you want to keep, your friend or your 12.00 pattern?
    This was exactly what I was thinking. Is your pattern worth more than your friendship? Quilters are a sharing group....it's in our DNA!!!
    Old 03-14-2011, 03:30 PM

Sometimes it does feel uncomfortable to say "no". However, you should just let her know that you are uncomfortable breaking copyright laws and your conscience will not let you sleep at night if you did - and you hope she understands. If the reaction is immature, that is not your problem. As long as you believe you are doing the correct thing there should be no problem.
    Sharing a technique is different to stealing intellectual property.
    Old 03-14-2011, 04:22 PM

I'm with you! People who do creative things deserve their meager share!

I compose music, and I get 3.5 cents per copy sold. I'd have to flood the market with new compositions to make a living at it, but the creative juices don't always work that way. We may not be prolific enough in our output to join ASCAP, but we still are entitled to our small fair share.

Down with freeloaders!
    Old 03-14-2011, 04:24 PM

i buy most of my patterns and books from used book stores, thrift shops, yard sales, this board, etc.....i do show these purchased used books and patterns to my sewing friends, and if they want a copy, i say yes....i never even thought about infringement, because i had bought it used......gina
    Old 03-14-2011, 04:44 PM

I agree that patterns should not be shared unless they were free. How else can those who create patterns to sell make their money. Stand your ground. Thanks for being honest!
    Old 03-14-2011, 04:44 PM

It was $12. Why not just buy one for her too? Then u can tell her your moral position about sharing so it doesn't happen again. Great way to keep a friend and not too expensive.
    Old 03-14-2011, 04:45 PM

I must be the "weird one" because I share whatever I can and I'm really happy to do so <shrug>
    Old 03-14-2011, 04:55 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by Lori S
    What would be the diference between lending out of public library and a personal library? Just my thoughts.
    I have lent many books both quilting and non -quilting from my personal library.
    Exactly!!!!!!! So does it become a problem if she makes a copy or does the problem lie if she borrows it? Seems very silly to me to make a big fuss and lose a friendship over a pattern...

Mom always said to share.. and I have no problems sharing.... If you make a copy with out me knowing well then that's up to you... but I will share any pattern or book..
    Old 03-14-2011, 05:12 PM

Have you shared patterns with her before? I' m a little surprised since she works in a quilt shop that she would do this, because the quilt shop and the designer both lose out. If you have not shared patterns before then I would do as others have suggested about wanting to support the designer. Also to avoid the quandary I would try tracing the pattern at home. Good for you for doing the right thing.