• Main
  • "what do I do?" >
  • "what do I do?"

• "what do I do?"

Old 05-12-2011, 03:27 PM

Thank you
    Old 05-12-2011, 03:57 PM
    Power Poster

Even if this is your daughter - does she have a flipping CLUE on how much is involved - cost and time?
    Old 05-12-2011, 04:01 PM

When I make quilts for my boys I also let them know how much the materials were....and my husband tells them how much time and love goes into them...it cost me over 100.00 to make each quilt...they were so surprised and had no glue it cost that much. They both love their quilts and take care of them...at first they were not going to use them...I said please...use them that is why I made them.
    Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Even if this is your daughter - does she have a flipping CLUE on how much is involved - cost and time?
    Old 05-12-2011, 04:55 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

get her to help you make one and then see how many she really wants! :lol:
    Old 05-12-2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by blahel
    get her to help you make one and then see how many she really wants! :lol:
    I think this is the best idea, then she will start learning how to quilt, too. Only if she is interested in learning, though...
    Old 05-12-2011, 05:17 PM

If you don't want to do it, there is no reason why you should, for money or not, and especially on such short notice. You could also mention that you know this particular teacher you made the quilt for, but quilts for the grandchildren's teachers would be going to people who (I assume) are strangers to you, and it might be quite difficult to make anything they'd like. If you really feel like doing something, how about something smaller, such as book covers or mug rugs? Your daughter could buy mugs and fabric to coordinate with them - her expense and her shopping trip. A few minutes of machine quilting and machine sewn binding - but even that, only if you feel like it.
    Old 05-12-2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    if you are going to make these quilts i would charge her what it cost's to make them.
    i have made lots of (personal) quilts for my kids and grandkids- every now and then one of them will call and ask me to make a (favor) quilt for them to give to some one else- i do these for the cost of the materials. i do not make a profit off my children but i do expect them to be responsible and when they want to give someone a gift they need to either make it or buy it
    I agree, or get her to help you make them and she will realise the work and time envolved :-)
    Old 05-12-2011, 05:41 PM
    Power Poster

I would say no. Do you know the teachers? Do the grands even want to give the teacher a gift? Or care? Just seems like a lot of work for you and none for your daughter.
    Old 05-12-2011, 06:13 PM

You r right my grandkids have not ask for a quilt, and my daughter is way to busy to help(yah right) and I don't know any of there teachers they go to school in a different town. I think she is going to pass on the $40.00 she is planning her wedding. Think I am off the hook. Thanks again ladies!
    Old 05-12-2011, 08:33 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ann L
    Originally Posted by Monie
    3 one is 16 next 10 and the boy is 12 on no they love my quilts but that just isn't cool. I text her $ 40.00 that will be the end of that. On top of that need them before school is out on 27th and I am reviving from surgery. Kids!!!!!!!!!!
    Thats alot to ask of you, especially since you are recovering from surgery and she wants them in two weeks. She needs to either plan better or learn herself.
    I agree. You need to get better!! That's the number 1 priority!!! :thumbup: