Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • "what do I do?" >
  • "what do I do?"

• "what do I do?"

Old 05-12-2011, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Monie
    You r right my grandkids have not ask for a quilt, and my daughter is way to busy to help(yah right) and I don't know any of there teachers they go to school in a different town. I think she is going to pass on the $40.00 she is planning her wedding. Think I am off the hook. Thanks again ladies!
    Good. It sounded like a more or less spontaneous reaction by her to your comment about the quilt you made/are making..."oh can you make me one too" ??

In your case, it would be simple to say, "I don't have enough time right now as the deadline is too soon, sorry." End of discussion. People who haven't put any thought into their request simply say "OK" and go on without realizing how much angst they have given to the person they requested this thing of.

I have people ask me often to do things I don't want to do and I hate to tell them "no" and so I struggle...When I have to say "No", often they were "just checking" and accept the answer just fine--almost as if they weren't really expecting a "yes". So, the next time someone asks me to make cupcakes or pumpkin bread, I'll say "no", without sweating it.

Of course, not everyone has trouble simply laughing and saying, "You've got to be kidding!"
    Old 05-12-2011, 09:04 PM

Problem is that people (even our children and spouses) really do not realize how much time and money this all takes. I got hung up on making baby quilts for all of my girlfriends grandchildren when they were born and it got to the point that quilting wasn't fun any more. it was a chore. I had a deadline and I realized that i wasn't quilting anything- nothing - for myself. so i've just quietly gotten out of it. i was so desperate at one point that i thought of buying cheap quilts that i have seen made ( I have seen awsome reasonable quilts at craft fairs-that's another topic) and pawn them off as mine. (no, i did not do this-don't you all kick me off the board now- it was just one little desperate nasty thought.) anyway- from now on- i quilt for relaxation and for myself. problem solved (until the next baby is born- i'm a sucker)
    Old 05-12-2011, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
    Well...that is tricky...me I would have my daughter buy the materials and make them if I had nothing to do...but I doubt that I would have nothing to do...so I would decline unless I really wanted to do them.
    Again, I agree with your advise. Seriously, that is too coincidental.
    Old 05-13-2011, 02:22 AM

I was just asked by my SIL to do one for her DD and she would pay me...she has no clue...there is no way she can afford it...My Husband thinks I should do it...Nope...I have too many projects on my own...If I do it...I will help her not do it. She can come over and I will show her...I thought maybe I will give her some of my scraps that are already cut up (she can not afford fabric)...really do not even want to do that...so I am not going to reply...and wait until the subject comes up again. - hoping it does not...
    Old 05-13-2011, 02:44 AM

Just tell her that you are unable because of recovering from surgery or simply because it is a big job to make one, takes time and $$$ and you are unable to spare any at the moment. A sensitive lass will understand.
    Old 05-13-2011, 03:29 AM
    Banned

Does dgtr quilt - maybe suggest it would be a great way to "do something together"???? :lol:
    Old 05-13-2011, 03:29 AM
    Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by jeaninmaine
    Why not show her how to make them.
    That's the best idea of all! I don't think non-quilters have any idea of the work that goes into it.

Question about summer quilts without batting - what do you put inside? Nothing?
    Old 05-13-2011, 03:34 AM
    Power Poster

That would be ALOT of work! I agree, maybe ask her to help!
    Old 05-13-2011, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    if you are going to make these quilts i would charge her what it cost's to make them.
    i have made lots of (personal) quilts for my kids and grandkids- every now and then one of them will call and ask me to make a (favor) quilt for them to give to some one else- i do these for the cost of the materials. i do not make a profit off my children but i do expect them to be responsible and when they want to give someone a gift they need to either make it or buy it
    I agree with this. Charge her for the fabric, thread etc. She may change her mind after seeing how much it will cost for that many quilts.
    Old 05-13-2011, 04:45 AM

HERE IS YOUR ANSWER!!
    Originally Posted by jeaninmaine
    Why not show her how to make them.