Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • $1000 machine isn't good? >
  • $1000 machine isn't good?

• $1000 machine isn't good?

Old 09-06-2012, 12:49 AM

I am a new (and I DO mean new ) quilter, teaching myself through books, mags and every online tutorial & Youtube video I can find lol. I have a Brother NX200QE that I bought about 5 years ago that I find is quite good, but after we got back from our US holiday last month I bought a Juki Exceed HZL-F600 which so far I think is fabulous.
    I looked around a lot before I decided on the Juki, but I think for the $$ (I paid $1300AU on special normally $1600AU ) but did see it advertised in the states for around $1000US. It has all the bells and whistles
    Now if I can just learn to use it to it's full potential and produce some stunning quilts (ok ok so maybe not stunning, but decent quilts) I will be a very happy quilter...Good Luck with your purchase.
    Old 09-06-2012, 03:01 AM

I have a Juki TL98Q that I bought a few years ago on sale for $700. Has automatic threader and thread cutter. Does straight stitch and free motion. Metal and heavy duty and mechanical. It's a real work horse and is especially nice on the throat space. There's nothing to catch on the quilt. Those who have used a regular machine for quilting know what I'm talking about. The lever for the pressor foot and the thread all get caught on the quilt when shoving it through a small throat space. You already have a machine that has pretty stitches - I vote for a heavy duty one for thick seams and quilting.
    Old 09-06-2012, 03:06 AM

that sewing machine dealer thought she saw you coming. i just purchased a viking 140c...if that is the machine you saw "pretty red details" and is computerized. I LOVE IT! it's a rebadged 855. and a darned good machine. my first brand new machine was 15 years ago-a viking 350-their entry level electronic machine and it is still a work horse.

now, IF you want embroidery..that's going to add to the cost. but she sounds like a jerk. you can find a really great machine for 1000-. (btw, my viking 140c was 1260 and i thought i was getting a good price..joann's had it at 1360-)

betsey
    Old 09-06-2012, 03:08 AM

The only drawback from not buying from a dealer is the training and customer service. But I wonder about the quality of the training if they are not willing to work within your budget.

The plus side is that you are a member of this board and if you buy a machine - I bet there will literally be hundreds of members here who already own that machine and would be able to answer questions for you. Plus Youtube seems to have a lot of instructional videos for quilters these days.
    Old 09-06-2012, 03:35 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
    Have you considered getting a machine like the Juki 2010, Brother 1500 or the Janome 6600? All of those are 9" throated machines. They only do straight stitches but they're solid machines and piece and quilt really nicely I'm looking in to getting one of those for myself. I'm leaning towards the Juki but I haven't decided yet...
    I have the Juki TL98Q and really love it for both piecing and on my frame.
    Old 09-06-2012, 03:41 AM

I would not deal with this individual at all. It sounds like she is only interested in how much she can get you to spend and not at all what you are telling her you need. I won't deal with any sales person who doesn't listen to what my needs are and try to help me find it without trying to upsell me.

Go to a variety of sewing machine shops and tell them what you are looking for, then try them out. You may also want to ask what they have used. There are many really good machines out there and yes you can get them for $1000 and less. It is a matter of finding which ones fit your needs and what you are comfortable with. They are like individuals, they have their own characteristics so some match your needs better than others. Good luck finding that perfect one for you!
    Old 09-06-2012, 03:44 AM

I just bought an older Bernina on the local "trading post" where people advertise things they want to sell. It works like a charm and makes a wonderful straight stitch. Its pretty basic, but for piecing is wonderful. Keep your eye out at estate sales too. A friend purchased a Bernina for $60 at one such tag sale. I would suggest you go to local dealers and actually bring your own samples to sew on. (seams to go over etc) Just make up a small sample of each thing you want to sew, they should let you use that to try each machine. Janome has a nice small machine that does beautiful basic stitching, although I don't think you can quilt easily on it. Good luck with your search.
    Old 09-06-2012, 03:54 AM

Purchase a used machine that was "top of the line" when it was new. I purchased a 1230 Bernina and absolutely LOVE IT. In addition I have a Bernina 165. (Awesome for free motion) plus an old 1972 Bernina 830 Record that is still a work horse. I use that one just about every day. Does a great job on thick seams. I also have a BabyLock Quilter's Dream that is probably my least favorite. It's OK but "touchier" than the Berninas. Look for a good used machine and you will end up with a $4000 machine for your $1000.
    Old 09-06-2012, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat
    So I went to the county fair. There was a sewing shop booth there. They had a lot of nice machines. I am on my third. My first was a cheaper Brother. Work for a short while. My second was a Pfaff, only $200 but for me that was a lot. My third is a Singer Quilter's confidence. I paid just under $300. It lacks power over seams but solid for all the basics.

I'm expecting a little money so I asked them what is the best machine I can get for $1000. They show me a nice computerize Husqvarna. Pretty red details. I've played with Janomes as well. The features include decorative stitches not very different from my Singer but less variety, footless control and an automatic presser foot; lowers and raises itself. Nice features but this is the only real difference. She tells me that $1000 really won't get me a good machine. That $4000 is really what I should shoot for.

I'm thinking for a $1000 I should get enough power to slide over pinwheels and prairie points, the push button cut, more stitches, and footless control.

I sew about 8 to 10 quilts a year on my little Singer. It groans some over the thicker seams but I get them through. I make throw to queen size mostly. I have machine quilted a few but prefer to have them professionally quilted. Am I asking for too much for my $1000? Really?
    You need to try a Juki, you will never go back. The F-600 exceed is just about $1,000 and has all the bells and whistles you could want and the power - that's something the other machines $3,000 to 10,000 do not have.
    Old 09-06-2012, 04:08 AM

Cheshire Cat, use that Singer 201!! It is a workhorse, and I guarantee you it will go over those thick seams with ease!