Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • $1000 machine isn't good? >
  • $1000 machine isn't good?

• $1000 machine isn't good?

Old 09-06-2012, 06:18 AM

I'm sure that several others have mentioned this but you have a treasure in that 201!!!! Clean it, oil & lube it according to the manual (if you don't have a manual google it & you'll find free manuals to print out) put in a new needle and you will be in awe. Many sewing machine experts think that is the best machine ever made by Singer.

If it hasn't been used for years it might need 24 hrs or so for the oil to seep in before it starts running smoothly, so don't give up on it. Also make sure the wiring is safe, if it doesn't look good have it rewired by an electrician instead of buying a new machine. A few years ago it cost me $100 to have a 201 rewired & also have it oiled/lube/cleaned-well worth every penny.
    Old 09-06-2012, 06:30 AM

Get your vintage singer up and running. You may want to have the electrical elements of the machine checked. With the money you saved, treat yourself to fabric!!!!
    Old 09-06-2012, 06:34 AM

You should talk to them about used machines. I have two Husqvarnas(one is from when I was little...top of the line when it was new). They both work great still. You do get what you pay for with machines, but they can be full of so many features you'll never use them all. I have a Designer that does embroidery. It's been so long since I switched it over to do embroidery, I'm afraid I won't remember how to use it.
    I got both machines from my mom. She was going to trade them in for newer ones. I just had to pay her what she would have gotten for her trade in. Good luck on your search. Don't be afraid to check out ebay too. My mom has bought a few machines on there and got good deals on them too.
    Old 09-06-2012, 06:35 AM

You won't get much for this amount for a computerized machine these days. If you had purchased a 'good' machine to start you would not be looking for a fourth machine at this time. All the money spent on three machines could be saved to purchase one 'good' machine. Sewing machines are like everything else we buy, appliances, furniture.
    Its better to buy good quality and have the product last for years than buy cheap and have to replace it every several years. You end up spending more in the long run. Save your money until you can buy a good quality machine, even if its a used machine it will still last, and perform better than a cheap $200 machine.
    Old 09-06-2012, 06:43 AM

I am probably just repeating all that has been said! I promise you that your vintage machine will truly amaze you if you use it for piecing and constructing quilts. Solid and strong and smooth and quiet are a few words that come to mind! If you buy new, I agree with the ideas that aborning (post no.8), gave. Please do not fall for the crazy money sums that sellers might throw at you! It makes me sad that anyone who wants to sew and is on a small budget is not helped at the sewing machine store. But we will help you and I bet you will be happy with your decision. Good Luck!
    Old 09-06-2012, 06:56 AM
    Power Poster

I am blessed to be able to have any machine I want and none of mine cost me over $1000. I think the most expensive one is the Brother 1500 I use for machine quilting and piecing and I won that thing. LOL. It sells new for about $500 - $700 now. 95% of my sewing is straight line sewing so a machine with all the extra stitches just goes to waste. I like needle up/down, auto thread cutter, and needle threader. That's all I use and the Brother 1500 has them all. For decorative or zig zag stitches, buy a used older machine. If you are like most quilters you won't use the decorative stitches much at all.
    Old 09-06-2012, 07:16 AM

You should be able to get an excellent machine for $1000! But do be sure you look at dealer machines, not big box store machines. They are in fact different, and a dealer can help you learn the machine and provide service, should you need it, where a big box store can not. Check out the Brother quilt machine. Its around $700 and should do anything you want.
    Old 09-06-2012, 07:19 AM

If you are looking for something reliable, and powerful consider the Brother pq1500s. Thread cutter, comes with several feet including quilting and walking, very solid and fast and will definite sew over multiple pieces of fabric without complaint. I think it is now about $700 at Amazon. (It is the same machine as the Babylock Jane which runs quite a bit more - just for the name). The catch - it is only straight stitch. No fancy stitches, not even zig zag. But what it does it does really well and I purchased it because my Viking 870Q with all the bells and whistles had difficulty with freemotion quilting, had to go to the shop regularly, needed more expensive thread (or so I was told) etc. But you do have your Singer for ziq zag etc. Another consideration is servicing. The newer "upscale" machines are sealed so you cannot oil and clean them yourself except for areas right around the bobbin. The PQ1500S allows you to clean and oil (fast and easy) saving you $100 or so at a pop and/or allowing you to keep it maintained more often.
    For my money - I would look into the best mechanical machine available. Less fussy, hard working.
    Old 09-06-2012, 07:22 AM

I also just purchased a Viking Tribute 140c - I absolutely LOVE it! My old machine was a 25 year old very basic Kenmore with absolutely no bells and whistles. I paid $1100 for mine and I can't even begin to describe how much I love this machine
    Old 09-06-2012, 07:24 AM

Also, there is a lot of game playing with the pricing of machines. Not too long ago someone posted on this site a video made by a man trying to price a Bernina for his wife and getting some interesting results. Shop around. Call around. By all means, avoid impulse buying. You need to know that Brother and Babylock are the same, Janome and Kenmore are as well I believe. As in the fashion world, you often pay a lot for a status label.