Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • $13 a yard???? >
  • $13 a yard????

• $13 a yard????

Old 05-14-2015, 09:04 AM

I just got my new Hancock's of Paducah catalog this week and they had marked down the fabrics in it. Now if I can just make up my mind what to order it is all so beautiful.
    Old 05-14-2015, 10:32 AM

If I really love it, I will pay $13 a yard, but seldom do I make the whole quilt with fabric that costs that much. I found quilting fabric in Europe to be MUCH more expensive that any I have bought in the US. Perhaps most of us do not realize how fortunate we are.
    Old 05-14-2015, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by piker6ca
    Well up here in Northern Ontario the normal price I pay is $14 a yard and some times a little more . I am always amazed when I see some of the prices in the States . If I could get fabric that cheap id have a room full . And probably be divorced LOL.
    Tom
    Have you looked at Connecting Threads? They have some good buys and ship to Canada. Had a relative in NB and have been there many times, sure is cold in Jan!!
    Old 05-14-2015, 11:20 AM

I like Connecting Threads and Keepsake Quilting. I go to Joann fabrics sales and Hancock Fabrics.
    Old 05-14-2015, 11:27 AM
    Power Poster

I've been quilting a long time and I for one, can't afford to shop LQS. I have to shop JoAnns with coupons or I don't buy at all. I get patterns for free or make them myself. I also buy threads on sale too. I take all scraps offered and make donation quilts out of that. I bought a roll of batting on sale for 60% off a year ago. that's how I do donation quilts. it has to be a special quilt, like the Asian quilt I made my son to go to a LQS.
    Old 05-14-2015, 11:31 AM
    Power Poster

Marshall's Dry Goods has two websites. One is wholesale site that sells only bolts of fabric. The regular site sells by the yard.
    Old 05-14-2015, 11:51 AM
    Power Poster

There is a Facebook group called Frugal Quilting. It is a nice group of like minded quilters.
    Old 05-14-2015, 11:51 AM

Good Gravy!! those prices have been in effect for a while now and I am a happy camper as I have been collecting fabrics for years and I don't care what new lines come out, what I have is way enough until I die lol. I used to stock up on Hancocks of Paducha when they had a good sale and sales on the web and buying out friends who didn't want to sew anymore and all quality fabric. I did buy some Christmas fabric from Joann's and other fabric from Walmart but they were good quality and strong but that is all I ever bought from those stores. I do prefer the LSQ. Walmart sometimes has the LSQ older fabrics like the Gambling dogs that I bought and the bird fabrics but you have to watch for it. I am not and haven't bought fabrics in years and don't intend to. I feel badly for the up and coming quilters but they can also watch the sales and on line shops. There are ways to save and work around, it takes time.
    Old 05-14-2015, 11:57 AM

All the shops I go to charge between 10 and 11.50. I shop the sale corners first ans online sales also.
    Old 05-14-2015, 12:14 PM

Thanks Carol
    Just looked at Connecting Thread good prices .
    Now i,m going to get in trouble when the mail comes LOL.

Originally Posted by Carol34446
    Have you looked at Connecting Threads? They have some good buys and ship to Canada. Had a relative in NB and have been there many times, sure is cold in Jan!!