Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • $200 to "service" my sewing machine! >
  • $200 to "service" my sewing machine!

• $200 to "service" my sewing machine!

Old 12-05-2010, 09:06 AM
    Power Poster

I agree the service charge for your machine is gouging. It's a costly lesson but always ask what the labor/service charge is and what it includes up front for any repair on anything. If it is exorbitant then do what I do laugh and walk out or hang up. I then recommend others not to use that business.
    Old 12-05-2010, 09:24 AM
    Power Poster

http://sewmachinerepair.com/sewingmachinerepair.htm

I think this book would help us all. I saw it laying on a dealer's repairman table a few years ago. I could tell it had been used a lot. Also I find dealer repair manuals for Bernina, Singer, White, etc. on Ebay.
    Old 12-05-2010, 09:37 AM

Sorry, but I think the price of service is very dependent on your going rate in your area. Here the rate is slightly lower if it's not an embroidery machine, but I *think* my dealer is charging $185 for servicing now. I get my first year free as my machine was purchased new, but after that I pay. 12 years ago to take my machine in for service it was $95. But, I can see that cost of living goes up and it's probably harder to service the newer, computerized units. You need specialized training, which must be paid for by someone!

As an aside. I took in my 1970's Morse to be fixed. I purchased it and couldn't get it to work. The feed dogs were broken. I paid $20 for the machine and $69 for the service.
    Old 12-05-2010, 10:02 AM

That seems high to me.
    Old 12-05-2010, 10:30 AM

I think to service a computerized machine in my neck of the woods, especially one with embroidery capabilities is around $150.00 and that's without replacing any parts.
    Old 12-05-2010, 10:34 AM

Yes the repair people have to make a living, BUT.
    But, when the repair is going to be a lot more than the estimate, they should ethically call you for permission. It's just like getting your car serviced. You should have to give them permission to go "over" your estimate.
    Old 12-05-2010, 10:47 AM

You are not only paying for what they DO, you are paying for what they KNOW.

I could do brain surgery, but you may not like the results!

How long would it take you to fix your machine yourself? Would you know what parts are broken, and have the ability to order replacements? Would you know it was repaired correctly so as to not break some other part in the sewing machine?

I am also a Certified Bookkeeper. Several years ago, I had a client that had a cafe. She had three employees. To do her paychecks, she'd spend a couple hours doing it herself, not getting to spend that time with her very young twins, or working in the cafe, and able to avoid having to pay an employee to work plus she'd get the tips. She was also not comfortable with the payroll taxes and getting all the calculations for the tips correct. There was always the worry about if her payroll was correct. And she spent an entire day each quarter trying to do the state and federal payroll reports.

She eventually hired me to do the payroll. She'd call me with the hours and the tips. 10 minutes later, I'd fax back the paycheck information and prepare her quarterly and annual reports. Is that 10 minutes worth only 1/6 of an hour at minimum wage?? In those two hours, waiting table and collecting tips, my client could make $60+ herself. At the end of each quarter, she could work in the cafe all day. I'd have her payroll reports done in an hour. She didn't have the stress of not knowing if they were correct or not, and I wouldn't be stressed because I'm educated and trained in my job.
    Old 12-05-2010, 10:49 AM

High! And I live in AK where everything is high.
    Old 12-05-2010, 11:07 AM

I would ask to see the parts they replaced and yes that is way way too high for a yearly cleaning! My dealer charges $59 and does an excellent job. I travel 150 miles to their shop and they actually do it while I wait. Of course, there is a local fabric shop down the road so I have no problem spending some time shopping and having lunch while they do their job. Now that my machine is out of warranty and because they know I am on a very limited budget, they showed me what to do to service myself. You bet your bottom dollar I go out of my way to send business their way.
    Old 12-05-2010, 11:11 AM

Now I don't feel so bad for paying $180 for getting my Brother machine serviced. (and I didn't even have them look at the embroidery parts!) I just thought it needed it because I'd never had it done in the 3 years I've owned the machine. It will be at least another 3+ years before I get it done again - unless it breaks or something.