Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • $600 budget - what machine should I get? >
  • $600 budget - what machine should I get?

• $600 budget - what machine should I get?

Old 06-11-2012, 07:03 AM

I'm hooked on Janomes......but my advice is to look for 2 things: 1) is the neck big enough to do the machine quilting? and 2) is there a KNOWLEDGEABLE repairman nearby?? It's very frustrating to have to drive miles and miles just to get help or repairs.
    Old 06-11-2012, 08:53 AM

While you are at that dealer, be sure to take a look at the Pfaff Ambition. It has everything found in most more expensive machines and has the IDT (dual feed) that was first with Pfaff. Price should be negotiable to be around 600-700. It is a wonderful machine.
    Old 06-11-2012, 09:03 AM

Make sure you get something with a needle down button and I like my speed control to.
    Old 06-11-2012, 09:44 AM

I bought a machine that was a trade in also....I love it. The sewing machine shop that I bought it at is no longer in business...the owner retired and closed his shop. But when I bought it he gave me a warranty for 2 years and if I wanted to trade up he would take my machine back and give me what I paid for it towards another machine. I have bought other machines, thinking I needed more bells and whistles....but I always go back to my first machine. It is not thread or needle picky. Works every time....unless I have done something wrong...going strong for about 7 years now.
    Old 06-11-2012, 05:31 PM

If i could find a used one I would get the juki f600, supposedly they have one of the most powerful motors and can sew through 8 layers with no problem, but i think they run about 800, but they seem to get great reviews
    Old 06-11-2012, 05:39 PM

I fired up the Brother 1500 tonight and I really like it. I didn't try quilting on it but itsewed a nice seam right out of the box. It isn't much bigger than my Pfaff tho and I was disappointed in that. It is about 8 and a half inch from needle to arm. A great value IMHO
    Old 06-11-2012, 05:46 PM

I would look around and find a vintage Singer 15. Feed dogs drop and she will be your friend for life. Pocket the rest for fabric!
    Old 06-11-2012, 05:52 PM

I'm a Viking person and I bought a used Lily 550 several years ago and love, love it. Never been in the repair shop and sews like a dream. Check Viking dealers for trade in's that's how I got mine at about half price. The lady that traded it in had only had it about 6 months.
    Old 06-11-2012, 06:49 PM

It is important to decide what you want. Straight stitch? Decorative stitches?

Decorative stitches, I agree with the ladies, you can't beat a good used machine. My first was a used Lily 550 from a dealer and my second was a Quilt Designer off eBay. Both great machines, very happy. Gave Lily to a friend and the QD is over on the desk.

Straight stitch. You have gotten some great advice. Either a vintage machine, I have a Spartan hand crank I use for paper piecing. Love it! Or, a modern straight stitch machine. I love my Juki TL98E. She is a work horse. I keep her oiled and she keeps on doing what she does. Really fast! I first bought the Juki to put on a frame. I loved it so much I bought a mid arm. I almost sold the Juki. So glad I didn't. Super awesome piecing machine, came with a walking foot.

Think about what you want. It might be, that with a little finagling, you could get both a vintage straight stitch machine and a modern used machine with loads of pretty stitches.

I hope you get what ever it is that will make your heart sing and your creativity soar!
    Old 06-11-2012, 08:27 PM
    Banned

a Singer 301, AND a Janome Gem platinum