Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • 1/4 inch seam allowance?? >
  • 1/4 inch seam allowance??

• 1/4 inch seam allowance??

Old 06-03-2012, 06:39 AM

Default 1/4 inch seam allowance??

I have a 1/4 inch seam allowance foot for my Janome machine, but I think that it is measuring and sewing a very scant 1/4 inch. I am trying to sew together a snails trail quilt, but it is not coming together very well. I think the seam allowance should be a little wider. Has anyone had this happen with their 1/4 inch foot?
    Old 06-03-2012, 06:42 AM

quilting is usually a scant 1/4"
    Old 06-03-2012, 06:45 AM

If it used to work out to 1/4" it may be a little bent in at the toe. Mine got bent out a little from trying to open the bobbin hatch when the foot was down. I have been unable to bend it back so I nudge the needle over one blip.
    Or it may be new thread/material combo or intricacy of the pattern? You will have to do the cut-3-pieces 1 1/2" x 5" and sew them together side by side with what you think is 1/4" seam, press, and measure until it comes out right. tiresome, but it works every time!
    Old 06-03-2012, 07:15 AM

I've yet to find a 1/4 foot that sewed an accurate finished seam (after ironing - tested by the 3 strip method).

If I have a project that demands a perfect 1/4" finished seam then I use the 3 strip method and move my needle position over. For example - if I'm sewing a pieced border and it needs to measure exactly 40" in length to meet properly at the corner.

If the project doesn't demand a perfect 1/4" finished seam then I don't worry about the exact size of the seam - but I do make sure that all my seams are uniform otherwise the blocks won't match.

BTW - I am also using a Janome and my usual piecing foot is the 1/4" accufed foot - but I've tried some of their other 1/4" feet as well.
    Old 06-03-2012, 09:07 AM

Even with a 1/4" foot, you still have to measure to make sure it's accurate. I have a Janome too and the 1/4" foot with the guide. The end of the guide was flared out so I have to move the needle.
    Old 06-03-2012, 10:08 AM

Move your needle to the left.
    Old 06-03-2012, 10:24 AM

I have a Janome and the 1/4 inch foot is right on. I move the needle a bit to get the scant 1/4. I have another Janome portable that came with a 1/4 inch foot but it is not accurate. I have yet to figure out how far off it is. I hardly use the second machine.
    Sue
    Old 06-03-2012, 10:31 AM

I have been struggling with the "scant" 1/4 as well, tried all kinds of things, and nothing seemed to help. JUST found out today (while trying to resolve a tension issue) that my Elna Supermatic will allow me to move the needle to the right (and to the left, point in fact)! Using the edge of the basic pressure foot, I come up with a near perfect scant 1/4! (the 'near' part is due to operator error, as usual!)
    Old 06-03-2012, 11:13 AM

I use a 1/4" foot and found out it wasn't working right I must have sprung it when I was sewing something so I put a pile of post it notes next to the foot to hold it in place and I've got the width I need. I couldn't figure out what was wrong but I saw it wobble like a weeble and decided that must be the problem.
    Old 06-04-2012, 03:50 AM

Thanks for all the info. I don't have a needle that moves, but I tried just shifting my seams over just a bit from where I was lining them up before, and it seems to have worked. Now I have the fabric tight against the 1/4 inch foot. I am working on a snails trail, and the intersecting parts are going much better now.