Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • 100 year old signature blocks >
  • 100 year old signature blocks

• 100 year old signature blocks

Old 01-11-2011, 06:31 AM

Looks like the blocks were made to be used but never finished into a quilt. Would like to know the story behind them, wouldn't you? If there is a quilt museum in your area I would suggest you make an appointment with a curator, show them the blocks and ask for their opinion. If there isn't, contact the Quilt Museum in Paducah KY, send pictures and a description. They have quilts made many years ago and know how to preserve and show them. Personally I don't think they are as fragile as some think. There is a book available that shows printed fabric from years ago, each one in your blocks can be identified as to the year it was sold.

Carol J.
    Old 01-11-2011, 06:35 AM

I came across some signature blocks that belonged to my Grandmother. She was not a quilter so the blocks were stored for many years. I recognized many of the names on them so i cut the blocks all the same size and put s sashing between them. It turned out beautifully. I donated it to the library in my home town to raffle off. Grandma was a avid reader and I thought what a better way to pay tribute to the ladies of the town than to add to the library. (My home town has 400 people)
    Old 01-11-2011, 07:11 AM

If they were done by ladies in NH, this would be a piece of their history. A quilt made from them would be a welcome gift for their historical society. Each name would bring back a memory of an ancestor and bring a smile.
    Go online and see if they have a historical society and mention some of the names, could be they ring a bell and are some of the earliest settlers.

Carol J.
    Old 01-11-2011, 07:15 AM

The best of both worlds. One, take them to an embroidery place and have them reproduced, unless you can do that. It is amazing how accurate they can be. Two, you stil have the originals. Professionally mount and frame them in acid free frame.
    Old 01-11-2011, 07:24 AM

I agree with Jacquie in OK - they need to be preserved and you don't want to handle them any more than absolute necessary. Some type of a book, cloth, would be the best. It looks like they are in great shape and you want to keep them that way. Contact museums and guilds for guidance is good advice.
    Pat in WA
    Old 01-11-2011, 07:25 AM

I would make them into a quilt. I inherited 100 year old scraps and I made them into a photo quilt. I have another box and I am going to do the same with those. I also inherited a set of appliqued flower blocks from husband's gma that I am going to put together. It's up to you.
    Old 01-11-2011, 08:27 AM

Way cool - do you have a picture of the intended couple that you could add - I think I would sash the pieces and make a wall hanging - how big are the squares?? This should be passed on
    Old 01-11-2011, 08:32 AM

I agree with frugalfabrics
    Old 01-11-2011, 08:40 AM

beautiful
    Old 01-11-2011, 08:44 AM

I have a similar quilt given to my Mother even for a wedding shower gift or as she left from her school teaching job (same community). I remember many of the ladies who signed it since I grew up in that community. We have quilted our vintage tops and had no problems with them. All of our quilts are at least 50 years and many 100 years. We use them and repair them as needed. Since a lot of these quilts are made with feed and flour sacks, that material is stronger than the material we purchase today.