Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • 11 year old wants to quilt!! >
  • 11 year old wants to quilt!!

• 11 year old wants to quilt!!

Old 06-24-2010, 09:25 PM

Why not show her a couple of different blocks and let her choose. Rail fence is always a good starter, but so is a 9 patch or even 4 patch What fun you shall have together
    Old 06-25-2010, 01:37 AM

My granddaughter started quilting when she was about 8. If your daughter is like most kids, even though she says she'd like to make something complicated, she's going to get discouraged if it doesn't go quickly. I agree with the nine patch. If she falls in love with something more complicated, that can always be a second project. That would make her a real quilter....always thinking of the next one!
    Old 06-25-2010, 04:12 AM

My Chloe started quilting with me at 8 Years old. The first quilt she made,picked the fab and I did the cutting,was the turning twenty. She has made several sinse then,but her fav is the first one. she in almost 17 now.
    Old 06-25-2010, 04:26 AM

How wonderful to have this mother-daughter time together. :)
    One fun thing to add to a quilt, that I have done before, is find a shirt,or some special article of clothing that can be cut into a simple square. Add this square to your quilt. It adds a special touch and memories.
    Even a square of her "Blankie" that she was fond of during her "earlier" days.
    A tee shirt may also be used, by ironing a piece of fusible NON-woven interfacing, that is machine washable. I use the interfacing for light to med. weight fabrics.
    Just cut the fabric and interfacing larger then is needed, iron on the interfacing according to directions. Once completed you can cut this piece to the correct size needed for your quilt square(s).
    Happy Quilting!!
    Corinne
    Old 06-25-2010, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
    I don't have anything to add to what the others have said...I just want to say that her request for her birthday is a GREAT reflection on you!! How many kids want to spend that kind of time with their mother?

You must be doing a good job of raising your kids!! :)
    I agree! I already love your daughter! I think she will be happiest with something she chooses, but I agree that something that can be strip pieced to speed it along will teach her skills and allow her to make something quickly. What a joy to have this daughter show interest at her age! Well done, Mom!
    Old 06-25-2010, 08:49 AM

I like the suggestion shopella had of a pillow block and a stayover with her gfs. Or teach them too. Another thought, how 'bout a disappearing 9-patch; sew the 9-patch then cut and rearrange the upper left and bottom right and makes a difficult looking pattern. I recently made a warm wishes but you need to be careful when you do the rail blocks, learned that by mistake. Needs design wall to get it correct. (for me that is)
    Old 06-25-2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by brookemarie19
    Ok girls, I asked my daughter what she wanted for her birthday thats coming up and she says "I want to be able to buy fabric that I like and you teach me how to make a quilt" :D I am so excited and ready to just leap right in, but I do have one question that I figured you gals would be able to help with. What is a newbies quilt pattern that doesn't look "too easy" She doesn't really seem interested in the charm quilts, so I would need something else. Thanks to all who can share this excitement with me and others who can help me with a pattern.
    There's a very simple paper pieced block that can easily be done by a child (with guidance, of course). I've forgotten the name of the block, but it's a jar block -- maybe bugs in a jar or something like that. I'll go digging and see if I can find it. My GD did it when she was 9.
    Old 06-25-2010, 10:36 AM

Everyone has offered such great suggestions. I would like to suggest the jelly roll quilt. There's a tutorial about that here on the board. Granted it's an extremely easy pattern. What's really neat about this quilt, though, is you have no idea how it's going to turn out. It's like a mystery. She might find that intriguing. With regular blocks you have a general idea of how it's going to look when you start making it.
    Old 06-26-2010, 01:53 AM

E Burns teaches a young girl the Irish Chain on her Dvd.
    It's easy and the Rail Fence is another one for beginners.
    Old 06-26-2010, 01:54 AM

E Burns teaches a young girl the Irish Chain on her Dvd.
    It's easy and the Rail Fence is another one for beginners.