Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • 2 1/2" HST help please >
  • 2 1/2" HST help please

• 2 1/2" HST help please

Old 07-25-2020, 04:13 AM

Default 2 1/2" HST help please

After a fall and concussion a while back my brain isn't working this morning. I have tons of fat quarters that I'm wanting to cut up into strips and 2 1/2" half square triangles for future projects. In the back of my mind I know there is a formula for making 8 at a time, but can't figure it out. Can someone diagram this for me or point me to a site that shows me how? I'd love to be able to print it out for reference again. Thank you ladies.
    Old 07-25-2020, 05:28 AM

Hi Linda,

I've not done this myself, but I asked Google and hit on the video below - might fit what you need?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb6vxkkWC-c

If the link doesn't work, it's on YouTube, a Fons and Porter video called "Sew Easy: 8-at-a-time triangles"

Good luck!
    Old 07-25-2020, 07:35 AM

Panchita, thanks soooo much for that link!
    Old 07-25-2020, 08:22 AM

Great link to making (8) half square triangles. Thanks for the question & thanks for the link!
    Old 07-25-2020, 08:46 AM

When your scraps are rectangles and not strips, you can use the grid method. It does require rulers and such but back when I was still doing sew/cut precisely before switching to my current technique of sew/cut large and trim down it was my preferred method. I still use this when I'm making sets of the same triangles, like for any sort of sawtooth star project -- I keep them whole until I'm ready to work on that block and never loose any (which may not be an issue for other people...).

Here's a good site:
    https://quiltsocial.com/making-multi...e-grid-method/

I used the grids in this project
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...14-621635.html
    Old 07-25-2020, 09:26 AM

I have seen Jenny Doan from Missouri Star Quilt Company make 1/2 square triangles by sewing two pieces of fabrics (background and print) together all the way around and then cutting diagonal across. You might want to check out her utube videos as I am not sure what size of squares she starts with.
    Old 07-25-2020, 10:49 AM

So I just sat down for a coffee break and to watch my local PBS quilt shows and on comes Love of Quilting, Season 35/Episode 10 called Triangles in Bloom and it started with a discussion on different ways to make HST, from 1 to 8 at a time!

Old 07-25-2020, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jordan
    I have seen Jenny Doan from Missouri Star Quilt Company make 1/2 square triangles by sewing two pieces of fabrics (background and print) together all the way around and then cutting diagonal across. You might want to check out her utube videos as I am not sure what size of squares she starts with.
    But then you've got biases on all four sides instead of the straight of grain.
    Old 07-26-2020, 04:20 PM

Here is a page with a chart to tell you how big to make the original square for a 2 1/2" finished HST.

HST 8 at a time

Watson

Old 07-28-2020, 05:02 AM

Watson....thank you for the chart. I've laminated it and know it will come in very handy in the future. I've learned this week to stick to the same tools when squaring these HST up. I have the Bloc-Loc 2 1/2" square up tool and the newer Clealy Perfect Slotted Trimmers by Kari Carr for New Leaf Stitches. There is a difference in size going from one to another, not much mind you, but it might make a difference once I get to putting it all together. So far I'm sticking with the Slotted Trimmers. And a rotating cutting mat is a must!