Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • 2 questions: How do you store your batting? & on batting sizes. >
  • 2 questions: How do you store your batting? & on batting sizes.

• 2 questions: How do you store your batting? & on batting sizes.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:50 AM

I found a batting that is 60" wide. It works great for lap quilts/quilts for kids. I had to have a quilt shop order it for me, though. I bought a bolt.
    Old 10-19-2013, 06:58 AM
    Power Poster

I buy 90 wide batting on the roll and try to buy mostly the same batting. I only sew the same type of batting together. My lap quilts are about 50x60, so batting would need to be about 58x68. I sometimes load with the full 90 inches or other times I cut it. If I load with full width then I can have a 26 inch strip left. Two or three of those can be sewn together or onto another piece for either a baby quilt or to widen a piece left from an extra wide and long twin to make another lap.
    Old 10-19-2013, 07:07 AM
    Power Poster

I to have always tried to buy queen size and that way I have really useable scraps. Recently I have used up alot of my scraps on table runners , ect.
    Old 10-19-2013, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by dray965
    I have been quilting for about a year, making mostly lap quilts. I am beginning to collect quite a few batting scraps of various sizes that I plan to sew together to re-use.

I'm beginning to feel swamped in batting. They are taking up a LOT of my room in my storage closet. Any ideas on how to corral all of that? I can hardly get in there anymore.

My second question is: Since I make mostly lap quilts, I really don't know what size to by in batting.

There seems to be no batting size for the varying lap-quilt sizes. I'm only finding crib-size, standard/queen, king.

So I have to but 2 crib sizes together, or cut up the others...giving me lots of odds and ends of batting.

Anyone know where I can buy just lap-quilt sizes..or anything close to them? The crib is usually around 46 inches wide and most of mine are 48, 51, 53, 56, etc. in widths.

Thanks in advance.
    As for storing, Someone on the board mentioned making a list of the sizes of batting, then place batting pieces and list in a space saving bags (the ones that use a vacuum to draw out the extra air) You would be surprised at how little space the batting would require.
    Old 10-19-2013, 07:22 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by dray965
    ...........I felt a 'duh' moment when I read that I should be sewing my scraps together as I accumulate them. Don't know why I hadn't thought of that...thus my 'duh'...LOL...........
    For more on sewing them together ... there was a recent thread with some good discussion about doing so, that might give you some more info before you start piecing your batting.
    Old 10-19-2013, 07:31 AM

I store batting in the bag in which it comes. Scraps, in a ziploc big bag. If it gets to be too large, I'll put them in the space bags that can vacuum the air out.
    Old 10-19-2013, 07:32 AM

I buy queen size batting and usually end up making two 48 x 72 quilts with them. So far the extra has become placemats, small hanging projects and I am beginning to make casserole carrying cases. It seems like I am constantly carrying hot 9 x 13 x 2 dishes in the car. So I am playing with making a cover that goes up and over the casserole to contain spills. There is a really cute pattern out there that uses wooden spoons as handles.
    Old 10-19-2013, 07:45 AM

So, does that mean, is everyone really saying, I shouldn't be just opening the closet door and just throwing them in, on the floor?????? Dang it! LOL, what can I say, the rest is fairly neat and it's easy to close the door!!
    Old 10-19-2013, 07:51 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by AZ Jane
    So, does that mean, is everyone really saying, I shouldn't be just opening the closet door and just throwing them in, on the floor?????? Dang it! LOL, what can I say, the rest is fairly neat and it's easy to close the door!!
    I'd say you have found the PERFECT storage solution!!!!!!!!!!
    Old 10-19-2013, 09:02 AM
    Power Poster

for the sizes you listed, you could buy a queen or king batting and cut it in two so your width is the length on the batting. you can usually get two battings out of the purchase, then