Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • 2 questions: How do you store your batting? & on batting sizes. >
  • 2 questions: How do you store your batting? & on batting sizes.

• 2 questions: How do you store your batting? & on batting sizes.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:23 AM

I always buy mine from a roll, they are 48", 60", 90", 120" wide and then you just select how long you want it. I stuff all pieces over 12" wide in a plastic bag. I use there for table runners, placemats, and other crafts. When the bag gets full is I am not using it I take it to the thrift shop..
    Old 10-19-2013, 10:10 AM

Recently I figured out the difference in price between different sized packaged batting. The lap or crib sized batts were almost twice as much as the queen and king sized. So, it's definitely worth a little cutting and some leftovers!
    Old 10-19-2013, 10:23 AM

I put all mine in a "space bag" and sucked the air out, which saves some space. Seems to be working for me at the moment. I also sew my bigger pieces together by just butting them up and zigzagging together.
    Old 10-19-2013, 12:38 PM

I just bought some Heat Bond batting tape to use to join my leftover pieces together to use. I haven't used it yet, but sure looked easier than trying to sew them. $5.99 for 1.5" wide by 10 yards. Hope this works.
    Old 10-19-2013, 01:16 PM

I bought a roll of the tape...and used it to join batting pieces...I do mostly full, twin and queen quilts and it takes a lot of the tape to join those sizes together...so now I just zigzag mine..works just fine...
    Old 10-19-2013, 03:09 PM

I always buy my batting 10 yds or more at a time, one single cut, at Joann or Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon. Lasts me a long time because, like you, I mostly make lap quilts.
    Old 10-20-2013, 04:31 AM

I buy batting by the roll and hung it from my rafters as my sewing room is in the basement. As I acquire cutoffs from the quilts I make of various sizes, whenever I have the iron on, I'll add the scrap to another piece I've started piecing together. Then I hang it onto a hanger and write the size it is at that time. As I keep adding scraps to it of decent size by the time I need another batting, its already made or close to it. At times I'll have a couple scrap battings on hangers waiting to be used. The backing scraps goes into my "larger pieces" tote to be used in quilts. If the batting piece is too small to be used for a quilt, I'll determine if it can be used for a hot pad or place mat and put it into a special drawer I have for that size. Othewise it may get tossed if too small. I feel you can only scrap so many scraps together before it looks like more batting tape than batting.
    Old 10-20-2013, 04:42 AM

For smaller projects, I line up the batting strips on the backing, using basting spray. No sewing together. Just finished a craft panel using that method and old sheet for backing. Did cross hatching quilting. I would post a pic but already gave it to the little boy next door. The strips stayed smooth. Of course this one is meant to be dragged around and drooled on.
    Old 10-20-2013, 04:46 AM

I purchased a package of iron on nylon tricot interfacing from Nancy's for $22.95. It was 60inches by 5 yards. I cut it into 1.5 inch strips and wrapped the strips on a round cardboard core (about 4 inch diameter). Obviously, the cost was very small compared to purchasing the prepackaged. It took me about an hour to do this. I save my batting scraps that I square up when I cut them off a project and mark the size on them. I have been making quilted items for a community boutique craft sale and have used most all of my scraps of batting. Feels great to lighten the storage load.
    Old 10-20-2013, 05:11 AM

If you are making mostly lap sized quilts, take a look at JoAnn's for their Soft and Crafty 48"x10' batting on a cardboard tube. I use a lot of it for smaller quilts and love the convenience and the quality. It's easy to store in its own plastic bag.