Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • 2 questions: How do you store your batting? & on batting sizes. >
  • 2 questions: How do you store your batting? & on batting sizes.

• 2 questions: How do you store your batting? & on batting sizes.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:18 AM

Everyone has given good advice. I see one person said to get the fusible interfacing that is light weight and iron it one just like the expensive tape--I have done that and it is easy and saves $$. Any scrap used is $$ saved for more fabric.
    Old 10-20-2013, 06:05 AM

I put my cut offs in a box , then when I am making smaller quilts I hand stitch the batting together. For the smaller scraps , I make a pillow and stuff it with that; to go with the kids' quilt that I am giving away. The small pillow holds a lot of stuffing.
    Old 10-20-2013, 07:11 AM

Those smaller scraps of batting are great for making your practice sandwiches for quilting ideas. Even the smallest pieces can be sewn together for these.
    Old 10-20-2013, 07:14 AM

I zigzag stitch my larger pieces together, but still have bunches of left over batting scraps. I generally toss them at some point. Even though I try to conserve, they seem to get the best of me to end up throwing them away. Does the thrift stores really want these pieces?
    Old 10-20-2013, 08:00 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by wendiq
    ...... Does the thrift stores really want these pieces?
    That would depend on your Thrift Store ... one might, and another not.
    So just Ask around!
    Old 10-20-2013, 11:29 AM

I buy 45" Warm&Natural batting on a bolt from Joann when it is on sale @ 50% off. It runs about $100 for, I think, 40 yards. I also keep a couple of twin size batts on hand. When queen size are half off I buy one or two, and usually cut them in half.
    Old 10-20-2013, 12:17 PM

[QUOTE=wellphooey;6358364]Those smaller scraps of batting are great for making your practice sandwiches for quilting ideas. Even the smallest pieces can be sewn together for these.[/QUOTE)
    You can also use those smaller scrap pieces if you have a pet to make a bed for them or to donate to the local animal shelter. No need to throw away. I know we all have small scraps and also some ugly (in the eye of the beholder) fabric that can be used for this. I buy my batting by the huge 30 yard roll when Joann's has a coupon out. Bought all that I have for 1/2 off and at that time is was $60 a roll, so I only paid $30. Bought several rolls at a time and have not purchased any since, altho my mother did shortly before she had her stroke and it was $76 with the 50% coupon. I have 2 big rolls and one real thick one that was $20 --couldn't pass it up. Still upstairs unused.
    Old 10-20-2013, 12:24 PM

I make a lot of Project Linus quilts, so the 60" wide on a roll is perfect for that. My Hobbs 80/20 batting is 90" wide and comes on a BIG roll, which I keep standing on end in the corner of the guest room. When guests come it goes into the unused shower in the extra bathroom. I do get individual batts at estate sales. After cutting into them, I put them back into the same bag and mark the measurements on the bag.

As for leftover batting -- the fluffy batting is used by charities that make stuffed teddy bears. The cotton batting pieces I save for QAYG, as well as the long edge pieces (for QAYG borders). Little pieces are great to put near your sewing machine at sew-ins for the purpose of catching threads -- just put in the trash when you are packing up.

Also, I use odd pieces of fluffy batting for packing when shipping. The fact that they are lightweight makes them ideal.
    Old 10-20-2013, 01:56 PM

I use small pieces for rag quilts for kids and adult throws. Sure uses scraps in a hurry. I cut 5" blocks of fabric and batting 4" squares. Works good
    Old 10-20-2013, 02:51 PM

I have found that buying batting in rolls and standing it inside the corner of my closet works well for me. There is less waste when you cut off a roll. Scraps don't hang too long, since I make purses and use the pieces most of the time quickly. If it is too small to save and deal with later, it goes into a sewn bag that when finished will be sewn shut for a dog bed.