Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • 2 questions: How do you store your batting? & on batting sizes. >
  • 2 questions: How do you store your batting? & on batting sizes.

• 2 questions: How do you store your batting? & on batting sizes.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by willferg
    I found a batting that is 60" wide. It works great for lap quilts/quilts for kids. I had to have a quilt shop order it for me, though. I bought a bolt.
    I buy 60" wide rolls when on sale from Joannes..Sale price is usually $20. Great for charity quilts
    Old 10-20-2013, 04:12 PM

I longarm quilt as a business, so I have my batting on rolls. But for myself, I piece batting scraps together for some of my quilts. I have put Quilter's Dream Green together with Quilter's Dream cotton and Warm and Natural cotton all together in one "Frankenstein" batting...can't tell where I pieced the batting nor can I tell where the cotton is compared to the Dream Green. I really try to keep putting the strips of batting together as I trim off my quilts so it doesn't get to be a huge chore - spending hours piecing batting together is not my idea of fun, but I can handle doing a single seam
    Old 10-21-2013, 05:13 AM

I buy all my batting by the roll. Left over, if it is place mat or table runner size I keep it in a vacuum bag and mark the sizes on the out side of the bag for later reference. Anything bigger I place in another bag and mark it also. Works great when making baby quilts or wall hangings. Anything small I put together to use as practice samples for FMQ.
    Old 10-21-2013, 05:37 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

oh Wanda. don't toss those scraps! just a suggestion here; the animal shelters can always (but especially in cold months) use dog mats, beds, blankets and those batting scraps can be used for that. I cut up anything smaller than 5 inches into crumbs and include them with the tiny crumbs, and thread scraps to stuff beds with. Concrete floors are COLD! or if you would rather-hospitals and foster kids, women's shelters etc can use a few small quilts 12x12 and a bit bigger for some little child's dolls. some kids would love to have a "blanket" for their doll or stuffed animal. just consider it before filling up the landfill. please and thank you!
    Originally Posted by WandaVA
    Since most of my quilts are lap size, I usually buy twin size batting (about 72 x 90").

As for storing "scraps" of batting. I measure them, roll them tightly, and use masking tape to hold the roll together -- I mark the size on the masking tape. I store them in plastic storage containers (or large boxes), with a list of the sizes in the box. When I use a piece, I mark that off my list. I don't save scraps smaller than 12 x 12".
    Old 10-21-2013, 05:39 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

we REALLY need a "like" button here! lol
    Originally Posted by Pat625
    I buy 60" wide rolls when on sale from Joannes..Sale price is usually $20. Great for charity quilts
    Old 10-21-2013, 05:42 AM

I usually purchase 2 queen size Warm and Natural at a time when they are on sale. I mostly do wall hangings, table toppers, and other small projects. I can cut several from one package of queen size. When I have used one, I start looking for 1/2 price sales on line at JoAnn's, then I buy two more. I like to keep one in reserve at all times. I can usually keep all the scraps in a ZipLok 2-gallon bag for further use (potholders, mug rugs, etc.). I seldom have extra pieces laying around and two full packages do not require a lot of space.
    Old 10-21-2013, 05:44 AM

I do not have storage for batting on the roll, so I buy the bagged kind...always the same brand and type...and always king size. The difference in cost isn't that much and I can store what is left for the next quilt. I don't have a good system to store, just stuffing where I can find a place....bad me!
    Old 10-21-2013, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by cherrio
    we REALLY need a "like" button here! lol
    Originally Posted by Pat625
    OOPs--try $30 a roll..Here's the link to the sale right now: http://www.joann.com/pellon-siliconi...atting&start=1
    Old 10-21-2013, 10:03 AM
    Power Poster

I have a tote that holds my batting, both in packages and in larger pieces. The smaller pieces, under 3', I toss into a large JoAnn's tote, then when I'm working on smaller projects, I piece together the size that I need by cutting a straight edge with an old rotary cutter, then zig-zag stitch them together. I know it can be bulky, but I buy king or queen size bats when on sale, although when I had more disposable income, I would order the pkg. of 4 king size or 5 queen size bats, as it worked out to be more economical. It's been a while, but I think I ordered them from either Connecting Threads or Hancock's of Paducah, and it was comparable or slightly less than batting on sale at JoAnn's.
    Old 10-21-2013, 12:10 PM

Use em up with table runners, place mats, mug rugs, etc and gift them for Christmas,