Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • 2 questions for older folks maybe >
  • 2 questions for older folks maybe

• 2 questions for older folks maybe

Old 07-04-2010, 08:55 AM

Years ago I saw in a Cloth World store a display of 2 pieces of denim. One was soft and the other regular stiff new denim. They said one was washed using CokeCola. Later I never sould find anyone in the store who knew what I was talking about. Any one here know about that?

I have seen those mesh bags that people make to take to the beach with "pet mesh" but I can't find it on line. Anyone know where I can get it? Thanks .....this is a very brainy and talented bunch.
    Old 07-04-2010, 09:00 AM

I know Coke is powerful enough to dissolve some nails, so who knows!!! :shock:
    Old 07-04-2010, 09:08 AM
    Power Poster

I have never heard of washing fabric with coke but looking at what it does to a penny is scary.
    Old 07-04-2010, 09:32 AM

I don't know the answer to your question, but my father used Coke to clean rust off his chrome bumpers when I was a child. I'm sure quite a few people here remember chrome bumpers on cars. :shock:
    Old 07-04-2010, 09:34 AM

Answer to your second question.....the bag is "Screen Play Tote" by Nancy Ota patterns. Hope this helps!.......
    Old 07-04-2010, 09:37 AM

I have heard that washing the dark blue, really stiff denim jean with coke in the washer will soften the jeans right up. I guess it dissolves all the extra dye? I have also heard it can be used, along with detergent, to help loosen grease and oil stains in the wash.
    Old 07-04-2010, 09:53 AM

I don't know about the "older folks" label, but a simple Google search yielded this info: http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf14381348.tip.html
    Old 07-04-2010, 09:55 AM

What a relief to look at this post and realize I don't know the answers!

I hesitated to look, wondering if I wanted to classify myself as an "older folk".

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D ;-)
    Old 07-04-2010, 09:59 AM

I am currently making one of those tote bags. Isn't that a coincidence? My pattern is called The Tote & Go an comes in 2 sizes. It is available here: http://store.cottage-quilts.com/stor...3&Item_ID=8548

I got some blue mesh at a quilt store in Exton, PA called the Quilt Block. My youngest DD decided she wanted one also to take back to NZ. So I wanted more pet screen. I tried everywhere, but while the quilt shop in Exton had 5 colors, no LQS around had it. I called the lady in Exton and she said although, she doesn't normally ship, she would consider doing so if I couldn't find it anywhere. She did tell me that she had heard you could get Pet Screen, or nylon screen for repairing screens at hardware stores. I went to a local hardware store and found it in black, identical to the weight that I got at the LQS, And it was wider and cheaper. They only had it in black, but that is what my daughter wanted anyway. This store didn't call it pet screen, just nylon window screen replacement screen.

Hope this helps.
    Old 07-04-2010, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by nursie76
    I am currently making one of those tote bags. Isn't that a coincidence? My pattern is called The Tote & Go an comes in 2 sizes. It is available here: http://store.cottage-quilts.com/stor...3&Item_ID=8548

I got some blue mesh at a quilt store in Exton, PA called the Quilt Block. My youngest DD decided she wanted one also to take back to NZ. So I wanted more pet screen. I tried everywhere, but while the quilt shop in Exton had 5 colors, no LQS around had it. I called the lady in Exton and she said although, she doesn't normally ship, she would consider doing so if I couldn't find it anywhere. She did tell me that she had heard you could get Pet Screen, or nylon screen for repairing screens at hardware stores. I went to a local hardware store and found it in black, identical to the weight that I got at the LQS, And it was wider and cheaper. They only had it in black, but that is what my daughter wanted anyway. This store didn't call it pet screen, just nylon window screen replacement screen.

Hope this helps.
    Those are nice bags!