Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • 50/3-ply cotton thread... Is there really a difference between brand names? >
  • 50/3-ply cotton thread... Is there really a difference between brand names?

• 50/3-ply cotton thread... Is there really a difference between brand names?

Old 11-12-2015, 12:36 PM

Although this thread comparison is a couple of years old, it will still give you some useful information re price/value of some popular threads. Happy quilting
    Old 11-12-2015, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Knitette
    Although this thread comparison is a couple of years old, it will still give you some useful information re price/value of some popular threads. Happy quilting
    Thanks for posting that, Knitette!
    Old 11-12-2015, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane
    Thanks for posting that, Knitette!
    I reference it all the time - either the one above or your Quiltboard post on the subject . You get what you pay for............ but only sometimes .
    Old 11-13-2015, 06:55 AM

I find connecting threads to be very linty, I love the stitch from Aurifil but is also a little linty, it seems Masterpiece is the least linty to me and the stitch is also quite nice
    Old 11-13-2015, 07:33 AM

I don't see anybody mentioning my favorite thread, Presencia! It's thin and low-lint like Aurifil, but it's 3 ply instead of 2 ply so it's stronger. It was recommended to me in a quilting class when my Aurifil kept breaking when trying to sew through a quilt sandwich that had a layer of interfacing adhered to the top with quilting designs on it. Someone let me use her cone of Presencia and no more breakage!

It's even MORE expensive than Aurifil, but since I use it for piecing almost exclusively I just bought a gigantic cone in a neutral color. LOVE it.

I still use my Aurifil for piecing or when I want topstitching or quilting stitches to "hide".

I also really like the Connecting Threads cotton - it's so inexpensive that I can afford to have a spool of every color on hand, which I love. I use it for quilting that I want to have show, or any sort of decorative topstitching, or any time where having a very thin thread isn't necessary (like making bags/totes). Yes, it's linty compared to Aurifil/Presencia, but it's still good sturdy thread and my 6600 doesn't kick up a fuss about it at all. And the price simply cannot be beat!
    Old 11-13-2015, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Knitette
    I reference it all the time - either the one above or your Quiltboard post on the subject . You get what you pay for............ but only sometimes .
    I posted it to the QB too? LOL! Suffering from CRS more than usual lately. I'm glad it's helped you out.
    Old 11-13-2015, 11:02 PM

So many threads to select. Your sewing machine may decide it doesn't like some of them. I find I don't like invisible thread. You get what you pay for. Cheap thread excellent for basting so buy bright colour as contrast to quilt.
    Old 11-14-2015, 08:37 AM

My wife was at the sewing machine store yesterday and they recommended we try a higher quality thread in the new machine. The instructor for the store recommended that we try Madeira cotton. No one in this thread even mentioned this brand. Any comments on Madeira?

We just watched a show on thread selection on Fons & Porter and she liked poly thread, but I notice that many of you sew with 100% cotton.

ClairVoyantQuilter, thanks so much for the wonderful link with the microscope photos of different threads - wonderful article!
    Old 11-14-2015, 08:46 AM

It's a matter of personal preference. Years ago poly thread developed a reputation for 'cutting through' cotton fabric. This is no longer the case and many polys are 'weaker' than cotton when pulled. I've always thought of Madeira as a decorative thread and it's not widely available here. I'm an Aurifil fan for piecing. My advice - buy what suits your budget.
    Old 11-14-2015, 09:09 AM

it is just like cars or anything else if it matters to you then yes but if it doesn't than the brand name isn't a issue