Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • 50/3-ply cotton thread... Is there really a difference between brand names? >
  • 50/3-ply cotton thread... Is there really a difference between brand names?

• 50/3-ply cotton thread... Is there really a difference between brand names?

Old 11-15-2015, 09:50 AM

I should have mentioned that the Madeira thread that the quilting instructor recommended for us was Madeira Cotona Nr.50 (whatever Nr. stands for???) premium quilting thread, 100% merc cotton . My wife has always used the cheap stuff. You don't know what you don't know and now that there is better stuff out there and a reason for it, life should be easier.

When I tried to find this same stuff online, we paid $6.99 a spool for this and I was looking for a better price, I'm having a hard time.

Last edited by Clay; 11-15-2015 at 09:53 AM.
    Old 11-15-2015, 07:33 PM

Anyone care to share a good place to buy Aurifil 50 Cotton Mako?
    Old 11-15-2015, 08:08 PM

My machines really prefer Aurifil.
    Old 11-15-2015, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Clay
    I should have mentioned that the Madeira thread that the quilting instructor recommended for us was Madeira Cotona Nr.50 (whatever Nr. stands for???) premium quilting thread, 100% merc cotton . My wife has always used the cheap stuff. You don't know what you don't know and now that there is better stuff out there and a reason for it, life should be easier.

When I tried to find this same stuff online, we paid $6.99 a spool for this and I was looking for a better price, I'm having a hard time.
    Assuming that I found the same thread - it's 50wt and a spool of 1000m - $6.99 is really not a bad price at all. That's on par with Aurifil at 1300m for $10ish - if it's a quality thread - which is how they're marketing it. It's German made and sold as a premium quilting cotton. I'm guessing that Nr is how they represent either WT (weight) or No (Number?) NO seems to be what it's translated to on some sites.

That said, as best I can tell Genziana is the same as Aurifil and especially with the Canadian dollar trading the way it is, this works out really well in your favor even after Canada Post extorts their fees for shipping: http://www.tristan.bc.ca/cart/home.p...ction=0&page=2

Thread and needles are 2 places I won't skimp. I service machines and I often find that they are 2 of 3 of the most common very easily "problems" people can solve without needing a technician. The third being tension.

Poor quality needles are often not straight, have burrs and cause all sorts of other issues.

Thread (and fabric being pierced) causes lint build up - and that build up when not cleaned out by the owner between servicings can wick the oil and grease away from the parts of the machine that needs it - causing premature wear. Also, lesser quality threads can break easier - whether while under construction or prematurely during use. They tend to also have more slubs and joins.
    Old 11-16-2015, 05:03 AM

Thanks AA for the nice link and the positive thoughts on the Madeira Nr. 50 Cotona. With some more research, I finally found a good deal on the Aurifil.

Without shipping costs or tax included and this is in US dollars. I paid 6.99 for a 1100 yards of Madeira Nr. 50 Cotona which equals $.00635 per yard. I found this deal on Aurifil 50 at Craftsy: $8.35 per spool of 1422 yards which equals $.00587 per yard. If I buy it in their 4 packs it's $32.50 for 4 X 1422 = 5688 yards. So $32.50 / 5688 = $.00571 per yard.

Anyone buy something through this Craftsy? It looks like I have to create an account or they won't let me buy from them. http://www.craftsy.com/supplies/auri...86376~reja49qx
    Old 11-16-2015, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by canmitch1971
    My favourite thread is aurifil. I have a large spool of So Fine that I don't use because I find it too fine.
    I really like using so fine in my bobbin - it last a long time and plays well with other threads. Just a thought for using it up
    Old 11-16-2015, 02:19 PM

Thanks AA for the nice link and the positive thoughts on the Madeira Nr. 50 Cotona. With some more research, I finally found a good deal on the Aurifil.

Without shipping costs or tax included and this is in US dollars. I paid 6.99 for a 1100 yards of Madeira Nr. 50 Cotona which equals $.00635 per yard. I found this deal on Aurifil 50 at Craftsy: $8.35 per spool of 1422 yards which equals $.00587 per yard. If I buy it in their 4 packs it's $32.50 for 4 X 1422 = 5688 yards. So $32.50 / 5688 = $.00571 per yard.

Anyone buy something through this Craftsy? It looks like I have to create an account or they won't let me buy from them. http://www.craftsy.com/supplies/auri...86376~reja49qx
    I think that with the Cdn dollar at less than 75 cents on the USD, that 1422yds for $9.60cdn will still work out in your favor, depending on the shipping costs from both companies - is Craftsy free? Lots of people seem to like Craftsy, I haven't personally bought from them but I've downloaded free patterns and have a couple in my wishlist and I'm about to post a pattern for sale through them.
    Old 11-16-2015, 03:10 PM

Nancy's Notions online sells this thread. I think it's relatively new to the market. Hope that helps.
    Old 11-16-2015, 04:12 PM

I use Connecting Threads poly cones, too. They work fine.
    Old 11-16-2015, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by lots2do
    Nancy's Notions online sells this thread. I think it's relatively new to the market. Hope that helps.
    Thanks for another source of the product Lots2do. My wife watches Nancy's shows and waits for them with anticipation.