Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • 900 HST's finished....how to quilt? >
  • 900 HST's finished....how to quilt?

• 900 HST's finished....how to quilt?

Old 01-04-2017, 04:40 AM

I would say 900 hsts is quite a challenge for most...it turned out wonderfully. If you have the leisure to leave it on a longarm and work at your own pace, vines and leaves would look great in the white...I rent a LA by the hour so I would only have time to do an all over design. We look forward to seeing it when it's quilted.
    Old 01-04-2017, 05:06 AM

Looks great! I love all the bright/fun colors. for the quilting, you could do some ditching or outlining whichever you prefer around the colored areas to make them pop and then something a little denser (small stipples or matchsticks, or possibly a diamond pattern) in the long white areas to flatten them a little in relation to the colored areas. You also have a nice opportunity to do a motif in the white squares if you want, but it's not necessary.

if you have a sheet of plexiglass you could lay it over your quilt and draw designs with a dry erase marker to audition designs.

I'm a sit down quilter so unsure about threads on the long arm. On my dsm I would use a 100wt silk or Wonderfil in matching thread on the white areas if doing a dense stipple or matchstick design so the denser stitching becomes a texture that sets off the colored areas. You could use a 50wt matching thread if you decide not to go very dense in those areas, but still want to do something that will not compete with the colored areas.

I think I would either just ditch the colored areas or do a simple not very dense echo of their shapes with a thread that will blend there, so that it puffs a little more than the white areas.

Rob
    Old 01-04-2017, 05:32 AM

It is beautiful. Have no idea how to quilt it!! I think we all love it, but I see that many of us are clueless as to "how to " quilt! Post a picture when you finish the quilting. Bet it will be spectacular.
    Old 01-04-2017, 06:12 AM

I made a "barn raising" quilt that was all half-square triangles and ended up doing a moderately dense meandering. As much as I loved the geometric aspects of the pattern it needed just a little softening. It is my favorite and I have started to build the pile of HST to make another, likely for donation. What a terrific stash buster!
    Old 01-04-2017, 06:30 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by kathy
    when I was new on this type quilt I did and still do panto, they are very good practice and look nice too.
    I agree. The contrast of light and dark in this quilt will shine through no matter what and a Panto is a good choice for this type of quilt. All over piecing (ie the same unit repeated throughout the quilt) alway plays nicely with all over quilting that ignores the piecing. I would go with a panto on this.
    Old 01-04-2017, 06:48 AM

Your quilt is gorgeous.
    Old 01-04-2017, 06:52 AM

Very nice. I'd use an overall design on this quilt. Could use a variegated thread in bright colors.
    Old 01-04-2017, 07:13 AM

Great job!!!!
    Old 01-04-2017, 07:29 AM

I right clicked on the image and then clicked on "view image" to get the quilt to show right side up.

And I was shocked. The center seemed to pop out at me in 3-D fashion. Like an optical illusion.Great quilt and great idea on putting those HTSs together.
    Old 01-04-2017, 07:32 AM

I think your quilt is great. We seem to be our own worse enemy when it comes to critiqueing our own work. You did a great job arranging the HST and it gives me an idea what to do with all my, so thank you for the inspiration.

Keep up the good work. Would love to see it after you get it quilted.