Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • ? About ten minute table runner >
  • ? About ten minute table runner

• ? About ten minute table runner

Old 10-12-2013, 07:15 PM

Default ? About ten minute table runner

Has anyone put batting into the runner? If so, how did you go about it? I need to make a quick one before the weekend!
    Old 10-12-2013, 07:35 PM

I do it just like a quilt....batting and backing.....sandwich, quilt and bind.
    Old 10-12-2013, 07:55 PM
    Power Poster

I have not made that pattern so I am not sure how to put in the batt. If you use a fairly stable batt like Hobbs 80/20 you could cut it to match the shape. Could you put it in after turning the table runner right side out? Maybe someone who has done several can advise you.
    Old 10-12-2013, 08:51 PM

I use Pellon non fusible fleece in all my wallhangings and table runners. It lays flatter than batting. Can be found in Joanns interfacing section. Sold off a bolt. Got some yesterday 50% off right now!
    Old 10-13-2013, 09:04 AM

On the 10 minute runner, the only way we could figure to cut the batting was to piece the 12"and 18" together, then iron them so you have the actual width of the runner. Then measure that and cut your batting that width and turn your pieces right side out & slide the batting down into the runner, making sure it lays flat. Then sew across your ends & turn. If you have insulbrite or needle punch thin batt works the best. One lady did hers with warm and natural & it was a little lumpy. I didn't put batting in mine, sorry don't have a picture. Hope this helps.

Edited to add: you may need to do some quilting as per the requirements of whatever batting you choose.
    Old 10-13-2013, 03:49 PM

[QUOTE=thimblebug6000;6346733]On the 10 minute runner, the only way we could figure to cut the batting was to piece the 12"and 18" together, then iron them so you have the actual width of the runner. Then measure that and cut your batting that width and turn your pieces right side out & slide the batting down into the runner, making sure it lays flat. Then sew across your ends & turn. If you have insulbrite or needle punch thin batt works the best. One lady did hers with warm and natural & it was a little lumpy. I didn't put batting in mine, sorry don't have a picture. Hope this helps.

This is how i have added batting to this runner. However I did not have the batting go the entire length of the runner but only up the point were the backing is turned on to the front. I used Hobbs 80/20 but found that it was a little too heave. Flannel was too light. I know some one who uses felt for her placemants so that might work in a table runner. Good Luck. these runners are fun to make!!!!!
    Old 10-13-2013, 06:47 PM

Instead of batting, I like to use an iron-on pellon-type inner facing and put it just on the bigger piece of fabric (the one that forms the backing and the front borders. It seems that binding it would defeat the purposed of the 10-minute design! I did do one other that I used a flannel lining--again just on the larger piece of fabric. I've also made them without any.

Last edited by marymm; 10-13-2013 at 06:49 PM.
    Old 10-13-2013, 06:53 PM

Decided to Google and found another idea at this site: http://martyflorida.blogspot.com/201...tructions.html
    I guess there are always lots of ways and lots of opinions!
    Old 10-14-2013, 05:12 AM

I've made several of those and didn't think they needed batting. Maybe a quick press after laundering.
    Old 10-14-2013, 05:44 AM
    Power Poster

I fused Pellon deco bond to the fabric before sewing. The runner lays flat and has that store bought crispness. I buy it at Walmart for $2.12 a yard.